Thursday, March 19, 2020

And No One Came



I invited four of my lady neighbors for a little morning get-together this morning.  Three of them are widows who are normally very involved in outside activities and are now finding themselves reluctantly home-bound.  The fourth's husband is an invalid and they celebrated their wedding anniversary on Wednesday without fanfare.  She is also rearing her twin HS senior granddaughters.

It just seemed like a good time for us to meet for much needed adult lady conversation and everyone was excited and looking forward to it.

One by one they began texting me.  One had been coughing all night and didn't want to expose us.  One of the twins woke up with fever, so my friend was putting the household into isolation.  Another was called out for a last-minute baby-sitting job.  There went the party!

These are new days aren't they when a fever, a cough or fear of exposure keeps us separated from each other, and sends us into lock-down mode.  These are also days when being responsible for each other and ourselves must take priority.


When no one shows up for a party, then the only thing to do is to take the party to them.

Lemon Loves and St. Patty cookies

Pecan Pie Muffins

Egg Spinach Muffins

I fixed a plate for each lady and delivered it to their door.  And that is one way to stay connected and let people know they are thought of during a difficult time.


I wanted to show you the crystal serving plates I used.  The small one is one that my mother was given for her wedding back in 1943.  I have always loved it and remember Mom serving pickles and other small food items on it.  I have used it through the years in my bathroom and bedroom for jewelry, perfumes, etc.

The larger one is from the set of three pictured on the table.  I found them at an estate sale years ago.  They have the same design in the center as the small one.  These plates are the perfect size for serving small amounts of cookies, Hors d'oeuvres, etc.  There is just something about crystal that makes a pretty table.


I have collected cranberry glass pieces for years and these pretty salad plates are some of my favorites.

So, when your plans fall through, remember something good can still come of all the time spent planning and preparing.  You can blog about it!

Let me close with these wise words written by Martin Luther in a letter during the Black Death Plague.

In Luther's Works, Volume 43, page 132, he wrote: "I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. This I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance inflict and pollute others and so cause their death as a result of my negligence. If God should wish to take me, he will surely find me and I have done what he has expected of me and so I am not responsible for either my own death or the death of others. If my neighbor needs me, however, I shall not avoid place or person but will go freely as stated above. See, this is such a God-fearing faith because it is neither brash nor foolhardy and does not tempt God."

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. So sad about your party, but you still had a party. How kind of you to think of the others that way. The writings of Martin Luther is so true of today. It is as if he was living today and writing about us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that from Martin Luther! So appropriate for today. And your party, that's so nice of you to prepare all that for your neighbors, but then to also take some over to them when they couldn't make it to your place is just over and above! What a wonderful example of unconditional love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, your intent was certainly what counts here...and the food looks amazing. I bet you made your guest's day by making sure they got to share the joy...and those awesome yummies! Perfect and and very timely quote from Martin Luther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you took lemons and made some lovely lemonade. I had 4 friends over this afternoon to play dominos. We had such fun and it was just what we all needed at this time. Blessings abundant!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.