Saturday, September 21, 2019

Saturday 9: Candy Man


It is good to be back with the faithful Saturday 9 bloggers today.

Sam asks the questions based on a popular song and we go from there.



THE CANDY MAN (1972)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.


1) This song is from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, starring Gene Wilder. The movie was remade as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, with Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. Which Wonka did you prefer? 

I have only seen the Gene Wilder version so have no comparison.  Since I am not a Johnny Depp fan, I'm pretty sure my opinion wouldn't change.

My granddaughter will be playing the part of Charlie's mother in the play this fall with the North Dallas Performing Arts Theater.  She will be singing the solo, "Cheer up Charlie" and I can't wait to see her perform.


2) In the movie, this song is sung by Bill, the candy store shopkeeper. Think about the last counter person you dealt with. We know that he or she likely didn't break into song, but did you two engage in conversation?

Yes, the last counter person was a sales lady at Chico's this week.  She was very friendly and we did have a nice visit.  No songs - just a spoken conversation

3) The lyrics tell us that The Candy Man can make the world taste good. What's the last thing you ate? Was it delicious, or just OK?


The last thing I ate was the last of the Pumpkin Bread, an early fall gift from a visiting niece.  Out of this world delicious!


4) The most popular recording of this song was by Sammy Davis,  Jr. Sammy was in a horrific car accident when he was 29 years old. His cheek and nose were broken and he lost an eye. That he survived at all left him reflective and after his hospitalization, he converted to Judaism. Do you still worship in the faith you were raised in? 

Yes, my maternal grandfather and my dad were Baptist preachers.  I married a Baptist minister-of-music and we remain faithful and active in a local Baptist Church.

5) Sammy was proud of the honorary college degrees he received because he never formally attended school. As a child, he performed on the road with his father and uncle. In addition to depriving him of an education, that lifestyle kept him from kids his own age. He would later describe his childhood as, "in a word, 'lonely.'" Give us a one-word description of your childhood.
Joyful!

6) Because he spent so much of his youth on the road, living on buses, trains and hotel rooms, he loved eventually having his own kitchen and being able to cook his own meals. This weekend, will you spend much time in the kitchen?

I don't ever spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  I don't mind cooking but it's just not my favorite thing to do.  Our meals are good and balanced but don't require a lot of prep/cooking time.

7) Sammy enjoyed experimenting with clothes and jewelry. What about you? Do you consider yourself conservative in dress or are you fashion forward?

I am conservative although I love pretty clothes and try to stay current on fashion but not trends.  I have a pretty good idea of what looks best on me and I don't branch too far away from that.


8) When he died, Sammy was in debt to the IRS. Do you handle your own taxes, or do you use the services of an accountant?

We use the services of a CPA although I keep excellent records that make her job much easier.
  
9) Random question: If you had to tell nothing but the truth (not even the tiniest white lie) for 24 hours, do you think you'd get yourself in trouble?

I would be okay unless someone asked me what I thought about something and I had to balance being honest or saving their feelings.

I might end up in a bit of trouble either way.

Happy to be joining Samantha for this week's Saturday 9


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. I think the Gene Wilder version of the movie is the best. How can you beat it? I love pumpkin, so I am always happy this time of year. I was raised Baptist and stayed Baptist until about 17 years ago when my church closed and I went to the Bible Fellowship Church. I have never regretted it. I love my church and all the people in it. It is very close to Baptist. Hope you have an awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your answer to #9 was very honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your answer to the fashion question. I think I am the only person who is not a fan of pumpkin. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing lost regarding not seeing the Depp version.. anyway, I really enjoyed my visit with you this morning. have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to read the answers that others have to these same questions. I also participate in Saturday 9 and find that I learn a bit about each person that participates as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do not enjoy cooking. It is not my favorite thing to do either. I would love to know your secrets. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your answer to 9 is wonderful. I agree with you completely

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.