Saturday, August 31, 2019

Saturday 9: Money For Nothing


Our theme song and artists for today are not one I would ever choose to listen to, but it is still a fun Saturday 9 set of questions from Samantha today.


Money for Nothing



Money for Nothing (1985) 

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) Sweatbands are prominent in this very 1980s video. What's the last thing you wore on your head?

An LSU baseball cap while I was walking in the neighborhood early one morning.  No pictures thank you.

2) The lyrics are from the point of view of a man who delivers and installs appliances. What's the biggest purchase you've made lately? Was it big in size or expense?

A few months ago we put in a new kitchen sink, faucets and disposal.  It was both rather big in size and expense.  However, the frustration with the installers might have been even larger. 

3) The delivery man of the song imagines the worst thing that happens to a musician is a blister on his little finger or thumb. Do you have any minor aches or pains bedeviling you as you answer these questions?

Since you asked - I will be seeing a hand surgeon on Sept 3rd to find out what can be done for these painful thumbs and wrists.

4) The term "dire straits" describes a troubling situation that's difficult to extricate oneself from. When's the last time you found yourself in dire straits?

I try to avoid dire straits, both the situation and the music at all costs.

5) There's a dinosaur called masiakasaurus knopfleri. It's a prehistoric, predatory lizard, and the paleontologists who discovered it were big Dire Straits fans, so they named it after lead singer/guitarist Mark Knopfler. Do you find dinosaurs fascinating, terrifying, or both?

I really have no interest in dinosaurs at all and certainly do not find them terrifying whatsoever.

6) Prior to his music career, Knopfler was a junior reporter, covering the entertainment beat for the Yorkshire Evening Post. Do you believe you would make a better musician or journalist?

At one point in my life I would have considered myself somewhat of a musician as I sang and played handbells.  Since that is no longer an option, I will go with journalist.  I do enjoy writing and have a natural curiosity to get to the bottom of things.  Also, based on many of today's journalists, there doesn't seem to be many criteria for the job.

7) In 1985, when this song was popular, rib eye steak was $3.89/pound. Today it's more than twice that. Do you have any beef in your freezer right now?

I do have some beef patties and a roast.

8) In 1985, Michael Jordan won the NBA Rookie of the Year award after his first season with the Chicago Bulls. It was the beginning of a career that made him a hero and a household name. Who do you think today's young people look up to?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if every young person would have parents of great character of whom they could say, "I want to be just like my mom/dad when I grow up."

I think young people will always look up to certain athletes.  But, I also see a trend where many of these are not the strong role models young people need.  There is also a trend of looking up to fictional/cartoon characters which is scary.  Back in the day, we enjoyed Dick Tracy and Archie and Superman, but I don't remember them ever being idols upon which to emulate our lives.

I would also hope that one day, political figures and religious leaders would be the persons our young people admire most and want to model their lives after.  That may be a while coming however.

9) Random question: Friends take you to dinner for your birthday. The menu you're handed doesn't have any prices on it. Do you try to estimate the costs and choose what you guess is the least expensive entree? Or do you figure that since your friends want you to have a good time, you should order whatever you want? 

That is tricky and we have had that to happen.  In that case, our hosts were considerate enough to discuss what their choices would be and about other dishes on the menu that we might like.

Should that not happen, I might ask what they recommend if they have been there before and also see what they have ordered and order accordingly.

We will be taking a mini road trip for a couple days over the weekend so I am wishing you a very Happy and Enjoyable Labor Day.

Image result for labor day 2019
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

3 comments:

  1. I hope your doctor is able to solve the problem with your hand. Chronic pain can really drain you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can get some help with your hands. I am sorry you are in pain. Have a nice trip! Loved your answers! Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once having aspired to be a journalist, I giggled at your, "Also, based on many of today's journalists, there doesn't seem to be many criteria for the job." That's a little like the forum at my prior workplace, "Ethics in Journalism."

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.