Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge

It is Wednesday and we "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Hodgepodge" happily gather to expound on thoughts provoked and stimulated by the master of questions,
Please click on the link above and join us.

1.  Speaking of skating...when did you last 'skate on thin ice', 'skate over the details', 'encounter a cheapskate', or just plain skate?

I don't skate; have never really skated; don't want to even try.  I'd rather think of Hubby as not exactly a cheapskate but a wise spender of our money, and I can't think of any thin ice I've been on lately.  So, skating over the details would be the closest choice, I guess.  I am a detail person and Hubby is not, so I've learned to sort of give "the facts ma'am, just the facts."  (Dragnet buffs out there?)

2. What would you say is the biggest problem of people your age?


Aches and pains - health issues, and the fear the money you've saved and invested won't last as long you do.  The seventies is a great period of life to be in because you have survived many other problems to get this far.  And if something doesn't kill you, you are determined to live and be content with whatever life brings your way from here on.  I also think at this age, you more fully realize and rejoice in the fact that this is not your home.  At least that is the way we look at it and I think we're doing pretty well.
3. What's your favorite accessory? Is it something you wear every day, often, or only on special occasions?
Several years ago my DIL gave me this Brighton Spin Master necklace and bracelet.  They were so perfect for me, I ordered the earrings to go with them.  This is my go-to accessory whether for every day use or special occasions.  I love its simplicity and the fact it goes with every thing.
4. January 20th is National Cheese Lover's Day. Are you a lover of cheese? What's your favorite dish made with cheese? Last thing you ate that contained some kind of cheese?
Everything is better with cheese!  We have recently rediscovered grilled cheese sandwiches and I fixed them Sunday night.  So that would be my favorite and most recent.

5. What's something guaranteed to make you roll your eyes? 

Saggy pants!  In town yesterday I saw a gas meter checker with his pants below his bottom.  Literally.  He was trying to hold his clip board, tool with which to open the meter covers, his pants and walk all at the same time.  I'm afraid to admit I did a little more than roll my eyes.  What makes this look so fashionable?????

6. Your favorite book series?
I don't read many series but am in the process of reading some of Margaret Truman's Murder mysteries such as Murder in the White House, Murder at Capital Hill, etc.  She's a good author.

7. Why did you choose your profession?
My professions chose me.  I drove a school bus for 25 years because at the time my children were small, we needed an additional income and the hours were perfect for our growing family and church obligations.  Then my 20 years of full-time administrative positions with the technical college system came as a result of taking a short term computer class at our local college.  The Lord opened the doors and led me right through them, for which I am very grateful.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
On Sunday afternoon, Hubby and I attended our local Little Theater to see two of our friends in the play, "Souvenir."  It is about "Florence Foster Jenkins (July 19, 1868 – November 26, 1944) who was an American socialite and amateur operatic soprano who was known and ridiculed for her lack of rhythm, pitch, and tone; her aberrant pronunciation; and her generally poor singing ability."
It was one of the funniest plays I have seen and I marveled that our friend, Dr Gale Odom, Dean of Centenary College's Hurley School of Music was capable of singing so horribly.  If you ever have a chance to see this play, please do so.

This is a YouTube recording of Florence Foster Jenkins and it won't hurt my feelings if you can't listen for very long.  You may well wonder as everyone else has, that her show at Carnegie Hall was completely sold out in the first two hours.
In spite of disease and delusion, she became a performing arts icon of the 20th century.
 This year there will be a movie of her life played by Meryl Streep, so you may want to spend an hour or so watching this very interesting, factually accurate, and informative documentary in preparation.  And trust me, you will not want to miss this movie!
 
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

11 comments:

  1. LOVE the jewelry! My oldest attended Centenary for 2 years. My sister is an opera singer, so I am going to share "Souvenir" with her. Looks like it would be awesome to see. (I was a music major for a short time in my life.) Thanks for sharing! Have a super, awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree with number 2, lovely jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. {{{Giggling}}}--a lot of folks have made comments about the pants and leggings. I enjoyed your answers.

    Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of the movie coming out, so will have to check out the documentary. I've read some of the Truman books and enjoyed them. You look wonderful and have a great attitude towards aging. I do think so much is in our viewpoint. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your hodgepodge...I DO agree too on those pants. Whatever made them popular in the first place? Even though I don't wear jewelry [or almost never] I certainly love yours...soo pretty! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers. Your jewelry is beautiful... silver and gold goes with everything! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here from the HP. You look great for your 70's. I'm 29 and only starting to save for retirement, but as a whole, we're all living longer. Some with 40 years retirement. I've always wondered how retirees survive on their SS, and savings for that long, especially with inflation. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My answer to # 2 was very similiar to yours but I so agree with what you said about this world not being our home. That is so reassuring!!

    Love the jewelry, a great set for sure. Brighton makes such pretty items.

    Looks like an interesting movie coming down the pike.

    Happy rest of the week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of her before; very interesting! Now-a-days, they could fix her singing with a machine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, growing older has its challenges. I feel like no one prepares us for this and suddenly there you are.....
    Yes, everything is better with cheese and sometimes a little sour cream too! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.