Wednesday, July 3, 2024

A July Hodgepodge

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

Our church singing "Salute to the Armed Forces"

I am joining Joyce who hosts the Wednesday Hodgepodge each week on her blog From This Side of the Pond.


1. It's a big week in the US of A as we celebrate Independence Day. Do you have any special plans? How will you mark the day? BBQ? pool-lake-beach time? fireworks? homemade ice cream? If you're not an American you can tell us what's happening in your corner of the world on Thursday.


Our plans at this time are to go to the "All American 4th" music and fireworks event on a local college campus in the early evening.  It will be sweltering as temperatures here are exceeding 100 degrees, but we're hoping for shade and a breeze.  Of course these plans are subject to change.  As for the actual 4th of July, we will be home and having our own quiet celebration.

We may also go to Music in the Park for a Patriotic Band Concert on the 3rd.


We went with friends last week and it was so much fun.
 

2. What's your favorite 'All-American' dessert?


We don't do a lot of desserts, but we do like a homemade ice cream recipe we call "Lemon Fluff."  It is made from sto-bought vanilla ice cream, sweetened condensed milk and frozen lemonade.  This is a long-time family favorite and so refreshing this time of year.


3. Does that patriotic feeling come easily to you, or are you having to work for it more these days? What's something that makes you proud to be a citizen of your country?


My feeling of patriotism and loyalty to my country isn't conditional on the political climate or a recent debacled debate.  Now, my being pleased with what is going on in this country is getting harder and harder to experience.  In fact, I find it all very sad and discouraging most of the time.


What makes me proud to be a citizen of this country is the fact that we can still celebrate the freedoms so many fought and died for through these 200 years.  I am proud that our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles that formed the very foundation and guiding declarations of this country.  I pray that these will again be the guiding force for future generations, though that seems doubtful at this time as there are no moral principles guiding our nation anymore.  Only God knows what is ahead for America!


4. Your favorite 'patriotic' movie? Favorite patriotic song?


  • Sands of Iwo Jima
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Black Hawk Down
Favorite Patriotic Song:    National Anthem & God Bless America

5. One simple pleasure on your July 'bucket list'? 


We don't need a July bucket list because our calendar is quiet full of pleasurable things.  We have several dates planned for simple fun times with friends; we will be grand-dog sitting while our Dallas family is on our church's youth choir/mission trip in Hawaii; the youth concert when they return; and to top it all off is a trip to Michigan for our granddaughter #3's wedding.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 


One thing that has been on my bucket list is to visit the French Lick Hotel and Resort in southwest Indiana.  Several months ago I read an article about it's history and transformation.  This captivated my interest not only in history but in architecture.



Being that we were going to be in Indiana in late July following the big wedding, and had the time, we decided it wasn't enough to just make a detour to see it, we wanted to spend a night in this historic and beautiful place.


One of the must sees is the gorgeous dome and completely refurbished interior and massive columns.


I can't wait to share this trip with you in August.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

10 comments:

  1. I like your answer about what makes you proud about our country. I hope your trip to IN is a good one. I have never been to French Lick but I would like to go. I grew up in northern IN but we rarely went south. I went to college at Indiana U which is a bit north of French Lick. Anyway, hope your upcoming trips are great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hotel looks fabulous! That lemon fluff sounds so good. I make a frozen lemonade pie that has similar ingredients but you put them in a graham cracker crust. I loved your answer to #3. Stay cool and enjoy your 4th of July celebrations and events!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful and proud to live in our country that still has freedoms! Enjoy your trips and I can't wait to see all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful July you've planned, Libby!
    Saving Private Ryan never fails to fill my heart (and eyes). I'd love it if everyone who's not seen it, would make a point to do so.
    Thanks for your mention of the lemon fluff. It sounds so refreshing, and I'm going to Google that today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That hotel is beautiful and huge! I can't wait to read all about it aftere your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is a huge church. Enjoy your time at the music festival and fireworks. Homemade ice cream sounds delicious. I agree, it is sad and discouraging with what is going on in our country. Good movie choices. Enjoy your July plans. Wow, that resort is huge. Hope you get to visit it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I can't wait to read about your Indiana trip, a wedding and a lovely hotel stay. Doesn't get much better. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really liked your answer to #3 and I agree with you. :-) That hotel is spectacular! Who knew there was something like that in Indiana?! I may have to add it to my bucket list! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Libby, that looks like an amazing place to stay the night. Hope it meets all your expectations. Yes! to your answer to #3. Happy July 4th and happy wedding to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your answers and thoughts, especially about what makes your proud!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.