Friday, March 15, 2013

Elegance - Part 1 - Accessories

A couple years ago I read a book entitled Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro.  Interestingly, the author based her book on a book which was also entitled Elegance by Genevieve Antonine Dariaux published many years earlier.  Several of the headings that Ms. Tessaro used in her book came from the original.
"What is Elegance?  It is a sort of harmony that rather resembles beauty with the difference that the latter is more often a gift of nature and the former a result of art. If I may be permitted to use a high sounding word for such a minor art, I would say that to transform a plain woman into an elegant one is my mission in life."
Genevieve Antoine Dariaux
Let me say at this point, that I do not recommend you go out and buy this book by any means; however, if you were to only read the pages that contain the headings it might be worth while if not entertaining.  Otherwise, don't bother.

 I thought it would be fun to use these headings for topics and see how they relate to today's fashion.

A - Accessories
"You can always tell the character of a woman by the care and attention she lavishes upon the details of her dress...accessories are among the most important elements of an elegant appearance.  And here...quality is essential."
 Genevieve Antoine Dariaux

I have a feeling Ms. Dariaux would prefer that we all shop at stores like Cartier for that essential quality accessory; however, this may not be an option for you as it is not for me.  Are you ever in a quandary about what accessories to wear with a particular outfit? 
 
Thanks to Polyvore and Pinterest, we don't even have to think hard about how to put together an outfit with appropriate accessories.
Pinterest via Elizabeth Day

Pinterest via Elizabeth Day
 Elle.com also has a section where they put together the perfect outfit, accessories and all, for whatever job you might have.  For instance:

A Chef
The Lawyer

 A Therapist
The Financial Analysist

Charming Charlie has even gotten into the game by showing how you can change up the simple black dress with many different accessory choices.
Taking the effort to properly accessorize is "one of the keys, one of the Open Sesames that unlock the door to elegance."
 Genevieve Antoine Dariaux

One of the characters in Ms. Tessaro's book was the epitome of elegance and always wore the exact right accessories according to the author; however, she was the most unlovable person I can imagine ever encountering.  I'm sure you have met women like this yourself.  They are gorgeous and totally put together on the outside, but after being around them you realize they are only a pretty shell.

The Bible tells us that there are certain things we are to put on.  I call these my Christian Accessories.
Paul tells the Colossians to put on various virtues such as kindness, meekness and longsuffering. He tells them to forgive each other even if they are in the midst of a quarrel.(Colossians 3:12-13)
 So before you make sure you have all the right jewelry, shoes and purses to make a good impression, make sure you have put on the accessories (virtues) that truly "unlock the doors to elegance."

Smile, kindness, meekness, forgiving spirit, compassion
Pinned Image
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm all about accessories for sure and can only hope that I use them correctly for an elegant look. I may have to get that book, sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Libby!

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and participating in the discussion regarding botox.

    It is so nice to meet you and to visit YOUR lovely blog. Thank you for sharing these DRESS and ACCESSORY ideas! What a great idea for a book.

    I'm following on google and have signed up to receive you posts via email.

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree that the finest accessories are the
    ones we have in our hearts. having said
    that, a nice scarf or necklace can always
    enhance our frames.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.