Sunday, March 3, 2013

Make it Pretty Monday: Spring & Brunch

Because I have been summoned to appear for Jury Duty before the U. S. Western District Court of  Louisiana before 8 a.m. on Monday, I am posting this a few hours early.

I am joining up with Kathryn at The Dedicated House  for "Make it Pretty Monday."
 
 In a recent posts, Kathryn and others such as KathySue at Good Life of Design, have begun to revamp their homes from the drab colors of winter to brighter themes in anticipation of Spring.  With this in mind, I decided that in order to not be outdone, I needed to do something to my mantel.

As you can see in the pictures below, I have high ceilings and a very large picture that I love and don't want to change at this point propped on the mantel.  So, finding things that don't get lost in proportion is not always easy.

But, with all the inspiration to go light, I decided it was time to pull out my collection of white pitchers and see what I could do with a few of them.

Below is what I came up with and it may or may not be in a state of evolution.  You can help me decide what if anything needs to be added or taken away.  I do also have a collection of white gravy boats, so I added my favorite antique in the middle for balance.  So, please feel free to comment and make suggestions.
 An overall view of the whole little living room.  Remember, I live in a Garden Home.
I am still working on my centerpiece for the dining table and the wreath for the front door.  One step at a time.  Retirees can't be rushed.

Brunch
Mine and Hubby's usual custom for Saturdays is to sleep until we wake up (unlike other mornings when we are either going to the gym or church), then have a mid-morning brunch.

This past Saturday I tried a recipe I had received from Pillsbury.  It was called "Sausage and Egg Biscuit Pies."  It was so delicious and easy that I thought I would share it with you.

Cook crumbled spicy or mild pork sausage.
Scramble four eggs with desired seasonings.  I just like to use a little Tony's.
 Combine cooked sausage, scrambled eggs with 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Using 1 can of Grands Jr. Golden Homestyle or Golden Layers refrigerated buttermilk biscuits, separate dough into individual biscuits.  Press or roll half the biscuits to form 4 1/2 inch rounds.
 Place on a large cookie sheet and spoon about 1/2 cup mixture onto center of each round.
 Press or roll remaining biscuits to form 5-inch rounds; place on top of mixture.  Press edges firmly with fork to seal.
Mix 1 egg, slightly beaten with 1 tsp water and brush over filled biscuits.
 Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
These are delicious with fruit and make great left overs.
A meal fit for a king by his queen.
 May this be a Pretty Monday for you.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, your home looks just like something out of Southern Living. I love the white pitchers! I never change anything like that throughout the year but I know those that do and it's lovely.

    As to the breakfast.......looks easy enough and may have to try it.

    Beautiful post and may you have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sausage pie. You have a lovely home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your mantel looks lovely! Sounds like a great menu! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post! I've been away for awhile; and I am just getting caught up. LOVE the white pitchers! I recently took out my white china, that I've been collecting; and displayed it above my kitchen cabinets. It really brightened things up! I agree with Leah's post above...your home is like a Southern Living magazine page. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biscuit pies look delicious...my mouth is watering! Love your mantle as well! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.