Monday, August 27, 2012

Miscellany Monday - Behold the Man

I am so happy to link up again with Carissa for Miscellany Monday for these random, miscellaneous thoughts.
miscellany monday at lowercase letters
Behold the Man
This weekend I saw a news article about an amateur artist who completely destroyed an historic masterpiece. The three photos below tell the tale.

The image on the left is the original work, a century-old oil painting of Christ called "Ecce Homo (Behold the Man)" that was painted on a column inside a church near Zaragoza, Spain, by artist Elias Garcia Martinez.
Over the years, the work began to deteriorate, as shown in the second image. Evidently, the unnamed amateur artist (without permission from the church, needless to say) thought she could improve the work and set to work with paints and brushes. The third picture is the result.

This sad story caused me to think about the image of Christ I'm demonstrating to those around me.
We're told in Genesis 1 that "God spoke: "Let us make human beings in our image, make them reflecting our nature...God created human beings; he created them godlike, Reflecting God's nature."

I have been made in the image of Christ - I am called to allow Christ to reflect His image to the world around me.  Have I been remiss in staying in touch with Jesus Christ through His Word and living in His presence that His image has begun to deteriorate.  Has His image in me been compromised?

When we begin to allow other "gods" in our life to transform and replace what Christ desires to be in our life, then the image we project becomes a distorted interpretation.

My prayer is that my life would show those around me a true likeness of the Lord of my life -
 Jesus Christ.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

1 comment:

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.