Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Breaking Out on the Hodgepodge

Sharing Wednesday Hodgepodge with Joyce, From This Side of the Pond


1.  We're in to a season students call 'spring break'.  Did you/your family travel over spring breaks when you were growing up?  Tell us something about a 'spring break' you remember (from childhood or adulthood, either one).

The most memorable was a trip to Las Vegas in 2015.  Our son happened to have a medical convention there that coincided with his girl's spring break and we were invited to join them.  These pictures capture only some of the highlights.

Attended an Elton John concert at Caesar's Palace

Went to the Grand Canyon

Helicoptered over the canyon and took a boat ride down the river.

Hoover Dam


Even celebrated early our 50th wedding anniversary on our last night.
We didn't get get spring breaks when I was in school, but we did get a whole week out for Easter week.

2.  Last thing you broke?  Was it a big deal?

I dropped a glass storage container that was thankfully empty.  It was only a big deal because it shattered into a million pieces of shredded and chunked glass that had to be found and cleaned up.

3.  March 7th is National Cereal Day...are you a fan?  What's your favorite?  If not cereal what's your favorite breakfast?  Your typical breakfast?

I rarely eat cereal but when I do, it is Almond Flakes.  My favorite breakfast is also our typical breakfast - baked eggs with bacon or another meat.  If you're curious about how I bake the eggs:  spray a pan, break 2-4 eggs in each corner; season then sprinkle onion powder and cheese; bake in 350 degree oven until done to your liking.  I also bake my bacon before and during the cooking of the eggs.  Presto, you've got a meal in about 10-15 mins.

4.  Break ground, break of dawn, break down, break the bank, break one's stride, break the ice, break a law, break a habit, break bread...choose one of the idioms listed and tell us how it applies to your life currently.

Break of dawn best fits, but it actually begins well before.  I have started a new workout routine at the nearby retirement center that adjoins our village property and is within walking distance of our house.  I start about 5:45 and finish up just as the sun is beginning to rise an hour later.

5.  Where do you go to connect with friends and family?  What do you like to do most when you're home alone?

Sunday mornings at church is where we most often see our daughter and her family and are delighted to be able to sit with them during the worship service.  This is also where we meet and connect with friends we may or may not see other times during the week.  Our social life pretty much revolves around church activities and friends we've made there.

We stay connected with our Indiana family through Snap Chat.  Daughter-in-law is so good about sending pictures and videos of our baby Jax almost every day and John is faithful about calling.  Distance isn't so distant when you stay in touch.

When I'm home alone, which is only for short spurts of time, I will either be on my laptop or watching a TV show that Dick isn't into.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Guess who got another month older on the 6th.  Yes, both our great grandboys turned another month old and both added new teeth.

From this Side of the Pond
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. It's honestly the worst when glass shatters. You can sweep it up and mop but I swear I always find some tiny shard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those photos of your great grandsons. So so cute and they put a smile on my face. Wow...that early workout sounds like a great way to start the day. Good for you. We love to connect with friends and family at church, too. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great spring break that was. Glass is always the worst to clean up. Your breakfast sounds delicious. That is an early start but the exercise is so good for you. Church is a great place to connect with people. You are so blessed with those two grandson's of yours. They are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures show that it was a great trip with your family! What fun memories you have made!! Those great grandsons are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to Las Vegas. I have been so many places around the world, but never there. Hubs has been a few times for work events. Your great grands are adorable and I know you enjoy them. I'm always up before the dawn, one of my favorite and most productive hours of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your spring break photos! Looks like such a lot of fun. We went to Las Vegas for New Years many years ago and it was a lot more fun than I had expected. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.