Wednesday, January 5, 2022

2022's First Hodgepodge

Today is January 5.  Where were you and what were you doing 5 years ago?




On this day 5 years ago we had just wound up the Cotton Bowl game where our grandson played the best football game of his 4-year career at Western Michigan.  The team his senior year, set and broke all records at the school and ended the year 10-1, losing only against Wisconsin by 7 points in the bowl game.  What a year 2015 was and what a great way to close it out with lots of family together.

Now to begin 2022 with a brand new Hodgepodge.  Thanks for joining in and thank you Joyce for hosting us again for another year.  Check in with her on her blog HERE.


1.  Share one happy moment/memory from the holiday season.


It would have to be when Jackson and McKenna told us on Christmas morning that they are expecting their first baby and our to-be 2nd great grandchild in 2022.  Wow!  What a year this will be - both our children will become grandparents within 3 months of each other.  How exciting is that!


2.  Let's be reasonable with our expectations going into this new year, k?  What is one thing you'd like to accomplish/improve/complete/do in 2022?


DO?  Definitely love on 2 great grandbabies as much as possible.


ACCOMPLISH?  I know, every year I say I am going to paint more and never actually accomplish very much.  Recently, I found a place of business that consigns paintings and is willing for me to show mine.  I'm hoping that motivation will help me get out the paints more often and see what I can accomplish.


3.  Every January 1st (since 1976) Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English.  Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words are chosen).  Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2022- 


wait, what?-no worries-at the end of the day-that being said-asking for a friend-circle back-deep dive-a new normal-you're on mute-supply chain


Which of these words/phrases do you use regularly?  Which of these words would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why?  Is there a word/phrase not on the list you'd like to add?


If not the exact words, I surely have overused what would amount to "WAIT, WHAT?"  And with good reason, I might add.


I would most like to see the phrase "no worries" cease to be used.  So often "it's all good!" is added to those words and it seems to be used in order to sluff off what really might need to be dealt with.  And things worth being concerned about are all too often not good.  Why don't we try saying, "worry not because God is in control even when it appears things aren't going so well."


Yes, I would like to add "mandate!" to the list.


4.  Best thing you ate in the month of December?


December was a month filled with a most diverse assortment of delicious food, both in homes of friends and eating out.

This was our Christmas Eve traditional finger-food dinner display at our son's.  How about that appealing charcuterie arrangement that Savannah created? Everything was delicious, but perhaps my favorite was the Hot Corn Dip.  It was so good I made it for our Dallas family New Year's dinner as an appetizer.


5.  January 5th is National Bird Day.  Are you a bird lover?  What's your favorite bird to see in the wild?  Choose a phrase from the list that follows and tell us how it relates to your life currently...eat like a bird, bird's eye view, early bird, bird-brained, free as a bird, a little bird told me, or kill two birds with one stone.


I am not a bird watcher, but I do certainly enjoy hearing and seeing them.  My favorite would be a male Cardinal, but I also love Hummingbirds.


I am hesitant to bring anything political into this 1st post of the year, but the only phrase that really seems to relate right now is "bird-brained."  No other explanation required.


6.  Insert you own random thought here.


On our way to Northern Indiana to spend Christmas with our son and his family, we made a stop for a much anticipated visit with dear friends and former neighbors, Randy and Cele.

They have recently completed their dream home in Cornelia, GA and it truly is everything they have dreamed of having.

It is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and perched atop a mountain with the most amazing views from every one of its wrap-around porches.

The house faces west and affords the most amazing sunsets.

It is here that you will find Randy and Cele almost every evening and I now understand why.

One afternoon before sunset, we drove down to a nearby walking path that meanders around the base of massive rocks and over quiet streams.

Another evening we drove to the most delightful little town, Dahlonega, GA for dinner.  I can understand why Southern Living Magazine featured it as "The Perfect Christmas Town" in a recent article.  You can read all about it and see pictures HERE.


Our trip northward from Georgia took us through the amazing scenery of the Smokey Mountains into the Mid-West.  We never tire of seeing God's incomparable natural creation.

This man-made creation was a sight to see.  This is what happens when sprinkler systems in Texas aren't turned off before a freeze.


Happy 2022 to you and yours!


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. GReat post and what a year 2022 will be and it's so neat that both John and Christy will become Grandparents this year. And, that gorgeous home, oh, my! All I can say is that I'm glad it's there home and place. :o)) Looks like a whole lot of upkeep to me. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Libby! WOW, what exciting news for 2022 - two great grandbabies on the way! That's wonderful. I'm a long way to see great-grandbabies. Our little Angelina is only 3 years old and if she waits until she's in her late 20s as her mama did then I'll be in my late 80s. :) The years do get away from us fast, though. You guys where in our neck of the woods for the holidays. I'm glad y'all enjoyed your visit. Best of luck with placing your art in the local consignment shop. That sounds like a good idea. May God's blessings follow you and yours throughout 2022. Take care and have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting about your new family additions coming this year! And what a feast you all had! I love finger food meals, I would happily live on appetizers/finger foods. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are so excited - 2 great grandbabies in one year!! Our granddaughters are only 5 and 2 so that means we will be really old by the time great grandbabies come along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting that you will be great grandparents x2 in 2022. What a blessing. That dream home is amazing! That Christmas Eve spread looks so good. Mandate is a great word to ban from our world for sure!! Happy New Year dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to all with the new babies coming, I so enjoyed your photos and reading your responses, happy New year.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that was definitely a beautiful moment. How exciting for the families. That is exciting news on your painting. Adding mandate is a great idea! Oh my, that table spread is amazing. Looks delicious. Your friends house looks beautiful. Happy New Year! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on new babies. So exciting. That home and view are very pretty and the CHristmas eve spread looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.