Wednesday, July 7, 2021

A Shifting Hodgepodge

Thank you Joyce for this week's questions.


1. July 5th is National Hawaii Day...have you ever been to Hawaii? Any desire to visit or make a return trip? Pineapple, mango, or guava...what's your pleasure?


I have not, although my daughter and her family have been to Maui several times.  It's never been on our bucket list for some reason.
Definitely, Pineapple!

2. Last time you were 'thrown in at the deep end'? Explain. 


I feel that way about my new HOA Board responsibility.  I just keep reminding myself that I never went into a new job knowing everything about it, and I will learn this one as I go as well. 


3. Sun, sea, sand, salt...your favorite when it comes to summer? 


I always feel like its a copout to say, "None of the above!"  The only one of these options that I would be the least bit interested in would the sea as seen from a luxury cruise liner.


4. Bury your head in the sand, the sands of time, draw a line in the sand, pound sand, shifting sands...pick one and tell us how the phrase currently relates to your life in some way.


Shifting sands.  I received word today that my dearest cousin died this morning.  She is four years older than me, and we never lived close to each other, but we had become especially close in the past several years.  She let me borrow her wedding dress for my own wedding in 1965.  We kept thinking that now that I live in Texas, we would get together soon.  That never happened.  Her death has been another reminder that sands shift - things are ever changing and at our age, the death of loved ones is inevitable.


5. On a scale of 1-10 (1 = make your own rules and 10=like a warden), how strict were your parents? If you're a parent where on the scale do you land? 


At the time, I thought my parents were very strict, and at the age of 15 would have given them warden status.  However, I realized later that they loved greatly, forgave abundantly, and protected and guided us unconditionally.  I'm so sorry I never adequately thanked them for that.


As a parent, I tried to be the same, but I'm sure my children would also have considered me very strict.  I prefer the term "structured." I will let them assign a number. My greatest regret is that I didn't enjoy my children more.  My expectations were sometimes too high because of the "fish bowl" concept of minister's families; probably more self-imposed than reality.


6. Insert your own random thought here


This past weekend we had friends visiting from GA.  We were across-the-street neighbors in Shreveport for a while.  In fact, we moved into new houses one week apart.  Randy was our church's Minister of Music, before moving to the Dallas area, then three years ago to Northeast GA.  We have maintained a dear friendship through the years  and distance.  Sadly, we did not get one single picture while they were here, but memories will last regardless.



For Friday night dinner, I served a variety of salads along with pork loin.  Everything was delicious.  We topped it off with a Strawns Strawberry pie.


Cele is such a talented lady.  She is a wonderful cook and hostess.  She is a writer, with her first book in process of being published, and now she is a beginning watercolorist.  She left this beautiful card behind with the sweetest words of appreciation.



We are forever grateful for godly friends.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. Godly friends make a huge difference in our lives. I'm sorry for the loss of your favorite cousin. "Structured" is a good word for parenting. I was raised that way and maintained that parenting style.

    The water color rose by your visiting friend is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good time with your friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about the death of your cousin. My heart hurts for you!! Your paragraph about your parenting resonates with me. I haven't hit "publish" yet because I want to add some photos to my post but you will read similar words on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Libby, I’m really sorry about the loss of your cousin. I know how that is, I’ve been intending ever since I moved up here to make it over to Arkansas to visit my cousins, but so far that hasn’t happened. I feel sure that your kids all are grateful to you for the way they were brought up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, love the word structured! And, so sorry for the loss of your cousin. Goodness, death seems to be coming from all sides. Such a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me know if you ever come visit your North Georgia friends...I'm close! I'm so sorry for the loss of your cousin. The watercolor is lovely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your cousin's passing. How lovely to have had such a good relationship on this earth. Nice to be able to visit in person with friends. Happy Hodgepodge to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to #2, you can do it! So sorry about your cousin. Prayers for you and the family. How nice to have a visit with your friends. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.