Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge

This is a late and last minute attempt to participate in this week's Hodgepodge, so hop over to Joyce's blog for more thought out answers than mine.

From this Side of the Pond  

1. It's the 11th day of the 11th month and bloggers often make lists on days like today. Let's go with a list of eleven things you're feeling grateful for today.

My salvation and eternity with Jesus Christ, my children and their spouses, that my children are strong in their faith and rearing my grandchildren to be as well, for loving ,godly parents, 56 years of marriage, cool, beautiful fall days, our health, our home, and that we have a potential buyer for our house.

2. What's something you decided to do or act on at the '11th hour'?  

To sale our house and move to Dallas.

3.  Apparently the Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe contains 11 herbs and spices. What's a dish you make that calls for exactly eleven ingredients? Feel free to share the list and/or recipe. 

I honestly can't think of a thing unless it would be a sauce for salmon and steaks.  I don't do complicated recipes and sure have never counted the ingredients.

4. Something you remember about your 11-year old self? 

Tall, lanky, skinny, tomboy who loved the outdoors and pretended all sorts of interesting scenarios.

5. The 11th of November is Veterans Day in the US of A. This is a day to honor those who have served their country in war or peace-dead or alive-although according to the government's website it's largely intended to thank living veterans for their sacrifices. 

Memorial Day is when we honor military personnel who died in service to their country. 

Share a thought relating to Veterans Day or tell us something about a Veteran you know-love-admire. 


The veteran(s) I know, love and admire would be the two men in this picture.  This was taken at our most recent class reunion from 1962.  Donald Ray and Charles were best friends all through school.  The day after HS graduation, they enlisted into the Army together.  They went to training together and were eventually sent to Vietnam together.  They were inseparable, even on the field.  During a battle, Donald Ray was hit and Charles was right by his side to witness it.  He did all he could do for his friend and called the Medics.  Charles today still says the saddest day of his life was when he saw Donald Ray lifted in that helicopter, not knowing if he would ever see him again.  Donald Ray did live but without one of his legs and received numerable medals and recognitions for his bravery in battle.  Thank you Charles and Donald Ray for your service.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

As I stated earlier, we are moving to Dallas to be near our daughter and her family.  You know its time to make a change when your mature adult children say, "It's time to be near family!"  My husband, being a realtor, was able to show our home to our HOA neighborhood prior to listing, so last Sunday we had an Open House.  The first young man who walked in the door, and will be getting married after the first of the year, loved it and wants it.  You know what that means don't you.  Yes, we've got to get to Dallas to find a house.

God is so good and faithful, and we can do nothing else but trust Him to continue taking care of us.

I will be spending the rest of the week with my sisters at the home of the middle child.  Our plans are to paint all of her wooden outdoor furniture, watch her grandson play football, and eat.  It will be a fun time together and probably the last visit before our move.  I will only be six hours away from them, and know I will either keep the roads or airlines busy.

Next week we will be in Dallas so there will be no Hodgepodge for me. 

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. What a poignant story you shared and there are countless more like them all across our country. I so appreicate the sacrifices our miltary and their families make. Hope all goes smoothly with the sale and you find just the right house for your future. I'd love to be geographically closer to my girls. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now where we were a few months ago. We moved east. Are you moving west? I hope you find just the right home!
    I loved that story of your high school friends. (My husband spent a year in Vietnam)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of you and your sisters. Hearing about your time together makes me want to have time with my sisters. What an amazing story about your friends and their experience together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your 11 things. That is a beautiful story you shared on Donald and Charles. Enjoy your time with your sisters. Wishing you all the best with your move to Dallas.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.