Wednesday, November 4, 2020

A Peaceful Hodgepodge

For many of us, there might not have been much sleep last night awaiting word on the election.  Thankfully the Hodgepodge isn't dependent on who wins or loses the election, although our mood may well be affected.  So hop on over and see how others have answered the following questions posed by Joyce.

From this Side of the Pond


Peace like a river....

1. How do you define peace? 

As in Middle East Peace or the peace of Jerusalem, or maybe even peace across our country between political parties, or even racial peace?  The easy and simple answer would be it is defined by the lack of conflict.  Someone else wrote:

"Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work.  It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  Unknown

Personally, Dick and I are dealing with the need for peace of mind regarding an upcoming decision as we seek God's direction and wisdom.

The Bible, which is my guide book speaks to this in several verses:
Paul in his letters speaks of peace mostly as being in unity with those around us.  Galations, says it is one of the fruits of the Spirit as we walk with Christ and live in the Spirit.  I believe that our personal peace can only come from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

2. November 3rd is Election Day in the US of A, but did you know it's also National Sandwich Day? Let's vote, shall we?


egg salad or tuna salad?  Tuna

chicken salad or grilled chicken on a bun?  Chicken Salad

peanut butter and jelly or a bagel with cream cheese?  Peanut & Jelly!!!

turkey and swiss or ham and cheddar?  Ham & cheddar

grilled cheese or pimento cheese?  Grilled cheese

roast beef-corned beef-or make mine veggie?  Corned beef as in a Reuben


3. When did you last say (or feel) 'no rest for the weary'


Again, I think this factors into the topic of peace.  Jesus said, "Come unto me all you who labor and I will give you rest."  I have seen so many who have labored over the election and as a result have found no rest or peace.  So, in essence, when I feel overloaded about a job to do, something to accomplish in a short period of time, or desiring to be in God's will, I seek to find His peace. I don't mean to sound holier than thou by any means, but this has become my goal.


4. This time last year, where were you? 



We were in Northern Arkansas following the wedding of a granddaughter.  Yes, we had weddings one year apart almost to the day.  On this particular day, we had driven over to War Eagle which is well known throughout the south for its massive arts and crafts festival each fall.  We then returned to Bentonville, and walked around the city square.


5. Share a favorite song, verse, or quote featuring the word 'peace'. 


"O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth.

O Lord, we praise Your name.

O Lord, we magnify Your name:

Prince of Peace, Mighty God, O Lord God Almighty!"


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

My closing and random thoughts on this election day are:

"When peace like a river attendeth my way.  When sorrows like sea billows roll.  Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, "It is well, it is well with my soul."


Oh Prince of Peace, Mighty God, O Lord God Almighty, please let Your Holy Spirit overflow and make His presence known across our hurting and confused nation in the days ahead.  Bring Your Peace in the conflict!

Amen!

This is one of my most favorite songs.



Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Peace is any place in life where there is no strife or worry. My home is peaceful for the most part and I am thankful to have a refuge where God provides my peace and comfort as the world seems to have lost it's mind at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just listened to a pastor on Sunday who retold the story behind that wonderful hymn. One of my favorites too. I've never been to Arkansas, but Bentonville looks so cute and maybe one of these days I'll get there. Wishing you peace in your decision making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being in the midst of turmoil and still have the peace of God in my heart. "It Is Well" a favorite of mine.
    Praying for peace as you make your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to your answer #1. I was going to include "It is Well" but was sure I would get to see it on someone else's blog :) Enjoyed your answers and the encouragement they gave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that there is a "place" called War Eagle. We are Auburn fans and our cry is "War Eagle" -- how cool! Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen and amen to your post! I'll just add...Lord, come quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quote on peace. Reuben's are my favorite! You shared several wonderful quotes.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.