Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Spring Has Broken!


Welcome to Spring!

Thank you for joining me as I join others for the


From this Side of the Pond

1. On this first official day of spring tell us something (besides the weather) you're looking forward to in this season of the year.

I am looking forward to getting our back porch screened in so I can enjoy sitting out there without the pesky mosquitoes eating me alive.  

I'm looking forward to having hummingbirds visit our feeders.

I am also looking forward to taking a road trip to the southern part of the state to visit special friends who have recently lost their husbands.  A by product of this trip will be enjoying the beautiful flowers characteristic of that part of our state.

2. When it comes to spring cleaning would you rather wash windows or wash baseboards? Clean out closets or clean out the garage? Dust ceiling fans or dust bookcases? Wipe down the patio furniture outside or wipe down the light fixtures inside? Any of these tasks recently completed?

1.  Wash baseboards - I clean them on a regular bases when doing the floors
2.  Clean out closets - There is very little reward in cleaning the garage as it just reappears
3.  Dust bookcases - Do this often
4.  Wipe down patio furniture outside - In the south, the pollen has to be wiped away on a daily bases.  UGH!

3. Your favorite thing to make/eat that calls for cream cheese? Sour cream? Whipped cream?

We just aren't eating any of these right now.  I did use a fat-free sour cream in a pasta sauce the other day, but I can't call it a favorite.

4. I read here a list of commonly mispronounced words. What is a word that gives you trouble when it comes to pronunciation?

To the ears of anyone not from the south, most all my words could be seen as mispronounced.  Dick and I were most recently reminded that the word "Salmon" is not properly pronounced as "sal-muhn" but "sam-uh n".  We are working on that.

5. What's a song you love with the word 'rain' in the title or lyrics?

First to come to mind is of course, "Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head" by B. J. Thomas from 1970.
But, my favorite would be the hymn "Morning Has Broken."  Video below is from a Bill and Gloria Gaither sing along.  But, this beautiful hymn is ageless.  You will see Ruth Graham in the video along with George Beverly Shea and Cliff Barrows.



"Sweet the rain's new fall sunlit from heaven,
Like the first dew fall on the first grass.
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden, 
Sprung in completeness where his feet pass."

6.  Insert your own random thought here.


As I was doing some early morning reading in my sunroom, I noticed a Robin taking a very lengthy and thorough bath in our fountain.  I was able to capture a few of it's antics.






After sunning and preening for a while, it decided the tail feathers needed a bit more attention.  Then, off it flew to serenade me from the big pecan tree.

What a joy to watch this beautiful creature.
Truly, "morning had broken, like the first morning,
blackbird has spoken like the first bird.
Praise for the singing!
Praise for the morning!
Praise for them, springing fresh from the Word!"
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. We deal with the crazy pollen here too. Its a big job! Your robin photos are lovely. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it fun to see the birds bathing! When we finally get some warm weather and our snow melts, we'll get the pond stream up and running. Then we'll have birds bathing there. They love it! (the end of May). We don't eat those foods either, but I sure do like them. I think it's just a conscious decision to be as healthy as possible. That doesn't mean that I don't eat a Cadbury egg once a year. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a screened in porch in Florida and I absolutely loved it. Hope you have a wonderful week, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are amazing captures of the robin in the bird bath! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to laugh about your pronunciation of salmon! So many of those I know with southern drawls say it the way you are used to. Being from Ohio, they were always "sammon patties"...lol! The photos you captured of the robin are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate I missed this HP, some good questions that I would have enjoyed answering. Love the photos and you really did a great job capturing the little guy. Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That will be awesome to have a screened in porch. How to say Salmon....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9x0o-qOCcM I forgot about that song "Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head", I really liked that one. That Robin is having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.