Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Random Post Valentines

Joyce will be taking off next week for Winter Break, so after joining the other Hodgepodgers today,
come back on March 2 for the next Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1. February 17th is National Random Acts of Kindness Day. It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day (February 16) which somehow feels related. Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th?

Tell about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th? Share details if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind.


I really don't do random acts of kindness except to pick up neighbor's papers and put them on their porch early in the morning or roll one's garbage can away from the street occasionally.  I wish this were more my gift, but it just isn't.  But, the world is a much better place because there are so many people God has truly blessed with this gift.

On this subject, I saw this video and was so encouraged and inspired by this amazing 8 year old girl.

2.What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now? You may have to dig deep for this one.

I think the effort to support the "Wounded Warriors" campaign will be a tremendous benefit to many of our military and their families.  But, as a Christian, I see new and different approaches to win the lost to Jesus Christ around our world.  This will have the most eternal affect on our world and on people's lives.

3. Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreos...your favorite food the color of night? Your least favorite on the list?

#1  Black grapes; #2 Blackberries; #3 Oreos; #4 Black beans; #5 Black olives; Last, Black currants

4. A while back I read (here) a list of twelve things you should do before you turn 50. They were-

travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, spend time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arises

What do you think of the list? What would you add or remove and why? If you're over 50, have you done all 12? If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all? What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do?


Over all, I think the list is pretty comprehensive.  I lost my grandparents when I was a child, so that is irrelevant for me, and learning to cook an amazing dish or learn a foreign language hold no interest for me at all.  But, the rest are excellent regardless of one's age.

5. Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting?

Dr. Zhivago
6.When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it?

Occasionally, pain in my back or neck can momentarily make me feel threatened more than helpless when I realize there is nothing else that can be done to make it better.  At these times, I realize that I am doing all the right things to keep my condition from rapidly getting worse and at my age (71) there are going to be some physical issues.  I know I am blessed to be as active and healthy as I am.  For that I am grateful.

7. Share a favorite proverb.

I have several but I will only share two.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on you own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make you paths straight.  Proverbs 3:4-6
"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."  Proverbs 22:6
8. Insert your own random thought here. 

I discovered the neatest blog this week - https://justjanblog.com/
She posted this valentine blog with the most beautiful photography. I hope you will look her up to see all the lovely photos.
Enjoy and I'll see you back here in a couple weeks.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. Good morning! This was an interesting hodgepodge and I am curious to see what all the others have written as well. We chose the same proverb! And your right...what beautiful photos! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We picked the same proverb, Libby! Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos...will try to check out the blog later today. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very sweet acts of kindness that you do. I almost said Dr. Zhivago. I don't know a lot of Proverbs from the Bible so I went a different direction on my answer after I read a definition of a proverb. Those are two good ones you picked. I agree, Jan's photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wavered between your proverb and the one I chose, which was Proverbs 4:23. I also posted the same pic from Dr. Zhivago. The winter scenes in that movie were amazing, but so were the springtime shots. Those are beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, love Dr. Zhivago and have not thought about it in some time. Gorgeous photos, will have to go check out her blog. Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr Zhivago is a good one. I wonder how many people in the HP haven't seen that one. It seems I'm in the minority in my love of black olives. I'm enjoying all the proverbs today. Have a nice rest of the week. I know you love beautiful homes...I'm going to Biltmore later this week. I haven't been in 30 years and am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I have said this before...there is no way you are 71! You are beautiful-big smiles. I had not thought about Dr. Zhivago in awhile.

    Have a beautiful weekend, friend. Enjoyed your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing some of my photos on your blog, Elizabeth! I am so flattered!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.