Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy Friday from Snow-Covered Michiana

Michiana, a small area that includes counties in southwestern Michigan and north central Indiana and centered around the home of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN.

Hubby and I drove up to Granger, IN from warm and humid Louisiana on Wednesday.  It was a 15 hour drive for us, but one we make as interesting as possible. Actually, the view from the car is not one that would keep you awake; on the contrary, it is a rather boring drive.  So, we entertain ourselves by listening to audio books. This trip was spent with David Baldacci's "The Forgotten." 

Anyway, the day before we left, the temperature in Shreveport was in the mid 70's. I kept my back porch doors open all day, enjoying the wind that was blowing a storm in our direction. After the cold front that preceded the storm, the temperature when we left at 4AM was 48 degrees. It was interesting to watch this number make a steady decline as we drove northward. 

When we reached Kankakee, IL where we take the country road eastward in order to avoid Chicago traffic (honestly, the GPS actually sends us through a corn field at one point, dirt/mud and all), the temperature was 32. Once we reached the Toll Road, about 60 miles from our destination, the snow started.  Oh how I wish we had the means to capture what these trillions of tiny sparklers swirling around in front of you look like.  When we arrived in Granger, IN, it was a cold, windy, snowy 28 degrees.

Unloading the "Hillbilly Clampett" wagon was done in short order with all 7 of us participating.

The next morning, it was 18 degrees with a windchill of 4.  And the snow!  Oh my!

If you have never seen lake effect snow, there is no way to describe its absolute beauty.  The flakes are huge and it blows - sometimes it is completely horizontal, other times it is swirling from all directions.  I simply cannot get enough of it!  We are supposed to get an additional 2-4 inches.

Yesterday afternoon I did get outside long enough to take a few pictures.

 This little bird landed on a branch right above my head and was perfectly content to be photographed.

Have a great weekend, my friends.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, didn't know y'all had arrived just yet. Beautiful pics but freeze me just looking at them. Enjoy your time with family and keep us posted! Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time with your family! Love the snow pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous winter wonderland. I would love to get snow like that. Hope your weekend is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that last photo with the sweet bird!

    are you a MK representative? if so, i would
    love to try the last stuff. just let me know
    how to make the transaction

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're safely there. I love that last shot of the bird, and the pines too...so pretty! Enjoy your family : )

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.