Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Happy Mother's Day Tributes

Thank you Joyce for taking the time to bring us together each week for
Wednesday Hodgepodge.  We appreciate you!

1. What's a phrase your mother often said to you? If you're a parent, is this something you now say to your own children?

"Because I said so!"  I hated this phrase and I'm sure I heard it many times only because I was stubborn, rebellious and needed to be reminded who was in charge.  As a teenager, I came up with this profound statement:  "My pet peeve is parents taking advantage of parental authority!"  Now what in the world did that mean?  Thankfully, my parents loved me unconditionally.

Did I use that phrase with my own children?  I'm sure I did although I cringed every time I heard myself.

2. What is a scent you associate with your mother or your childhood home?

Mother did not wear perfume but she always smelled fresh and sweet.  I can't remember specific scents in the home other than food cooking.  Nothing smells better than a cake in the oven.

3. What's an activity you remember always doing with your mother (or someone who was a mother figure in your life)?

Mother taught me to sew at an early age.  She first taught me to use a needle by doing cross-stitched pillow cases.  I then progressed to making most of my clothes by the time I was in college.

4. Flared jeans, maxi dresses, and jumpsuits are 70's fashion trends back this spring. Are you on board? Which trend would you be most inclined to try? For the men...flared corduroys, wide-collared shirts, and floral prints...what say you?

I purchased my first maxi dress a few weeks ago.  I had not bought one previously because I could never imagine where I would wear it other than around the house.  However, I found a really cute one that I did wear once while in Vegas and again this past Sunday night to a prayer group gathering.  I found it quite comfortable and will probably look for at least one more for the summer.

5. May 6th is Teacher Appreciation Day and also Nurse Appreciation Day. Is there a nurse or teacher  you have especially appreciated along the way? Tell us why?

Both my children have BSN degrees and are using them plus advanced degrees in various ways.  My youngest sister is a first grade teacher.  I do have a deep appreciation and gratitude for people in both professions.  Neither is easy and both are so often thankless jobs.

6. If I came by your house, what would I find on your frig door?

You would find a small collection of family pictures.

7. Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana made her royal entrance on Saturday, May 2nd. On a scale of 1-10, how much attention did you give to all the news coverage? 1=Who's Charlotte? 10=sat glued to the telly, cuppa in hand.

I would give my attention a 3.  I was aware she was due, have heard some discussion of names and did see a picture of this beautiful baby leaving the hospital, but have not been overly involved.  I am so glad of the "Elizabeth Diana" name combination and impressed that Mother Kate looked so amazing only a couple days after delivery.  Truly a Princess!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Being that it is Mother's Day week, let me give a tribute to three precious mothers.
First, my mother,
Laura Colvin Lazenby
1918 - 1995
Hardly a day has passed since her death that I haven't thought of her and wished for her wisdom and company.  Mother was known for her devotion to her husband and family, but also to her Lord Jesus Christ and His call on her life.  She loved missions and dedicated her life at an early age to service in His Kingdom.  For 50 years, she served along side my dad in the pastorate in small rural Louisiana churches and as an officer on the Executive Board for the Louisiana Baptist Women's Missionary Union.

She was a great prayer warrior and truly an example of what a godly lady is to be and for that I am so grateful.

Thank you for teaching me to appreciate beauty, manners, reading and the finer things in life.

Thank you Mother for setting such an example of unconditional love.


I also want to recognize the mothers of my perfect grandchildren.
Both of my daughters are wonderful mothers.  I wish I had been as patient and wise as they are.
Christy Day Harbison
 and
Michelle Wilson-Day
 Thank you both for raising up your children in the love and admonition of the Lord.
Thank you for putting Christ first in your home and being His example to your family and in your communities.

Happy Mother's Day!
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. This was such a fun HP and brought back so many sweet memories of our Moms.

    Lovely pics of your lovely family.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoroughly enjoyed this! It was one of the many things my mom said that I found myself repeating as well, "because I said so!" lol. It was a GOOD answer. Such LOVELY LOVELY families! Enjoy your Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the aroma of a cake baking : ) Your family is lovely...Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've definitely said that one! I guess I wouldn't mind a maxi dress to lounge in around the house. Actually the pictures of Kate were 10 hours after the delivery. Beautiful tribute to the mother's in your life. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures! wow...only 1 grandson in the bunch, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tribute to your mom, daughter and daughter-in-law!
    I love the new little princess' name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, because I said so....my mom used that one too and I am afraid so did I - as a mom and a teacher. eek!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.