Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Over the Bridges and Through the Trees


This will conclude the photo summary of our Indiana trip.

One afternoon I went alone to visit the tiny Shiojiri Niwa Japanese Garden in Mishawaka.  I find this sweet place to be so peaceful and serene.  I try to visit here almost every trip and love seeing it in different seasons.  Sitting quietly in the Teahouse Pavilion offers a time of quiet reflection and meditation.

Come walk among the trees and plants and over the bridges with me.




















Afterward I drove to the Mishawaka Riverwalk.  Mishawaka is nestled along the beautiful St. Joseph River.  The city is named after Princess Mishawaka, daughter of Shawnee Chief Elkhart. The legend of her romance with white trapper Deadshot, and abduction by her jealous Indian suitor Grey Wolf, makes for a very romantic and mysterious story.



The Battell Park was designed and built in 1881.  In 1884 this Civil War Memorial was constructed and dedicated.  The title "Shiloh" on the statue had significance for me.  Even though this is a memorial to the Union Army, Shiloh is the name of a small community in North Louisiana where my dad grew up and where my paternal ancestors are buried.  It was very much Confederate land at one time.


Wars fought for just causes on both sides can be honorable!


In the 1930's as part of an economic development initiative during the Great Depression, government workers, part of the WPA project, built the stone walls and gardens along the St. Joseph River.  These stone benches and steps are the remains of that work.


Today there continues to be building projects along the river as the city grows.













I hope you enjoyed visiting the city of Mishawaka with me.

This site, Shiojiri Niwa will give you the interesting background and history of the garden and how it came to be in Mishawaka.

For more information about Mishawaka, Indiana click on This LINK.

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.