Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

How Joyce travels for two weeks and still gets questions out on Wednesday, I'll never understand, but so admire her effort and determination to  give us something to think about for the Hodgepodge.
So, click HERE to either answer the questions yourself, or read how others have answered them.
1. What's surprised you most about your life or life in general?
 
That I got old!  That wasn't supposed to happen this early.  Seriously, I don't think of myself as old, but I am experiencing changes that have come as a result of turning 70 that I hadn't anticipated.  But, in general, my life is better than I could have imagined.

2.  Sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole, a baked sweet potato, a bowl of butternut squash soup, a caramel apple or a slice of pumpkin pie...you have to order one thing on this list right now. Which one do you go for?

Sweet potato casserole hands down.  Copeland's Restaurant has the 2nd best; it should be on the dessert list.  Mine would be #1!

3. What's a famous book set in your home state? Have you read it? On a scale of 1-5 (5 is fantastic) how many stars does it rate?

Louisiana and especially New Orleans are very ripe subjects for both books and movies, many of which I would not necessarily recommended.  This link will give a whole list of Louisiana True Crime Bibliographies, if you like that kind of reading.  If you prefer light, wholesome, sweet love stories, then "The Cane River" series by Mary Jane Hathaway might be for you.  They all take place in the beautiful, historic town of Natchitoches, only an hour down the road from my house.

"Dead Man Walking" (1993), written by Sister Helen Prejean, a Roman Catholic nun may be one of the most famous. It is a  non-fiction account that takes place near New Orleans, based on her work as a spiritual adviser to two convicted murderers on Death Row at the Louisiana State Penitentiary (Angola), and the story behind the movie, "Dead Man Walking."

However, if you want the true account of the story behind this book, then you must read, "Forgiving the Dead Man Walking" by Debbie Morris.  She was a friend of my Daughter-in-Law while living in Mandeville, LA, who at age 16, actually lived the story.  I highly recommend reading it.

https://d39ttiideeq0ys.cloudfront.net/assets/images/book/large/9780/3102/9780310231875.jpg

It can be found at Amazon HERE.   There is also an interesting article on her and the book in "The Christian Woman".

4. There are 60 days until Christmas...have you started your shopping? How do you stay organized for the holidays?

Yes, I have started but its a very small start.  I don't really buy a lot of gifts but instead give money to the grandchildren.  But, I do try to give something to the adult children.

As we leave mid December to spend Christmas in Indiana, organization is required mostly for the process of leaving and being gone from home that long.  It's really not a big deal any longer; it all gets done.

5. October 26th is National Tennessee Day. Have you ever lived or spent any time in Tennessee? Is this a state you'd like to visit one day? The top rated tourist attractions in Tennessee are-

The Great Smoky Mountain National Park (Gatlinburg area), Elvis's Graceland (Memphis), Birth of the Music Biz (Memphis and Nashville), Dollywood (Pigeon Forge), Tennessee's Military Heritage (many battlefields), The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home), The Parthenon (Nashville), Oak Ridge American Museum of Science and Energy, Chattagnooa and the Tennessee Valley Railroad, Downtown Knoxville, Lookout Mountain, The Titanic Museum (Pigeon Forge), The Museum of Appalachia (Clinton), and The Lost Sea Adventure (Sweetwater)

How many on this list have you seen? Which one on the list would you most like to see?


We love traveling in Tennessee and could spend days just riding through the GSM National Park.  We have seen seven (7) from the list.  One thing we haven't seen is  The Parthenon in Nashville.  I think this would be interesting since we actually saw the real Parthenon in Athens many years ago during our skinny gangster days.


6.  Insert your own random thought here.

We leave this morning for a well anticipated trip to Northern Indiana where we will spend time with our son and his family.  On Friday night we will go across town to South Bend to watch our grandson and his Western Michigan University (WMU) Rugby team take on the Irish of Notre Dame.  By the way, his team beat Northern Illinois 143 - 0 last weekend.  Geaux Broncos!

Then we will be traveling up into Michigan to watch our granddaughter who plays soccer for Trine University in Indiana, play their final two games on Saturday and Monday.  She is playing some super soccer and pity the girl who gets in her way.

But we are mostly looking forward to just being there with the family.  They are good folks and a joy to be with.

So, there will not be any blogging until I get back.  Then, hold on to your chair because there will be lots to tell you.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning, Elizabeth! I did read "Dead Man Walking" and now I am headed over to Amazon, thanks to you to order the follow-up. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, our answers to surprises in life were quite similar. First, I have to comment on that pic of you in Athens. I could not believe that is you! That pic has so much attitude! We visited the Parthenon also. Now I am interested in the book you recommend. We visited the Angola prison a few years ago and I was very moved by all I saw and read the book about the warden there. We also met some of the men and heard one of them speak who is pastor and evangelist. I was impressed by what the Lord has done with these hardened men.
    What wonderful plans you have ahead of you. You are terrific grandparents. Enjoy your trip and we look forward to seeing all the photos and hearing all about your travels when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish I had thought of your answer to #1 because that is exactly how I feel AND it still surprises me (and I try to deny it...lol)! The book really sounds like a great read. I do enjoy inspirational and true stories. In this world we live in, it seems so many don't have a clue about forgiveness. If they only knew. Have a great and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree and can relate to your answer for #1. I never expected to feel this way at 66. I see my dad at 94 and wonder how he has managed so well for so long! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.