Tuesday, August 8, 2017

It's A Grand Hodgepodge

It is good to be back on the Hodgepodge with our hostess and new Grandmother, Joyce.
If you would like to see how she and others have answered the questions, click HERE.

1. Do you try to set rules for yourself about how you use your time? Explain.

When I first retired I did.  I came from a job that required met deadlines.  I was very goal orientated; therefore I had to accomplish something every day.  I was also a wee bit driven to accomplish all those things I had envisioned doing in retirement in the first few weeks.

Six years later, I am not nearly so driven.  Okay, to be honest, there isn't much drive period.  I love being retired but I don't set expectations or goals for myself anymore.  We do have a couple understood rules and those are to make up the bed every morning and to have no clutter.  I keep a very nice house, but it's not because of set rules.  It is because we like it that way.

2. Monday was National Lighthouse Day. Have you ever visited a lighthouse? If not, do you have any desire to see one up close? Of the 10 Most Beautiful that made this list which would you most like to see in person-

Yes, we have visited a couple lighthouses.  One on the east coast and one during our recent trip to Mackinac Island.  The Old Mackinac Lighthouse (below) is only 3 miles from the White Shoal Light in Michigan.
We saw these smaller automated light houses while on the ferry to the island.

Lindau Lighthouse (Germany), Fanad Lighthouse (Ireland), Portland Head Light (Maine), Yaquina Bay Light (Oregon) The St. Augustine Light (Florida), Peggys Point Lighthouse (Canada), Start Point Lighthouse (England), Tower of Hercules (Spain), Bass Harbor Head Station (Maine), and White Shoal Light (Michigan)
As you've heard me say before, because my granddaughter has fallen in love with Spain, so have I because I'm seeing it through her eyes.  But, I think it would be so exciting to visit the oldest lighthouse in the world, the Tower of Hercules in northwest Spain.

When you've been away, what's your 'lighthouse' telling you you're on the right road home?

Figuratively, it is knowing there is no place I would rather be.

Literally, it depends on from which direction I am coming.  From the north, it is getting on Interstate 49 south in Texarkana, AR.; from the west, it is the Louisiana State Line; from the east, it is the I220 By-pass; from the south, it is the Southern Loop Exit.

3. What have you unintentionally stopped doing? Is this something you need to pick back up and begin again, or is it something you need to let go of for now (or even permanently)?

That would be painting.  I have just not been in the mood and totally without inspiration.  I have also run out of places to hang them and no one else wants what I paint.  I do hope to get back to it soon, though.

4. We've had a full week of August. Share a GRAND moment from your month so far.

The GRANDEST moment is yet to come.  Three of our GRANDS are coming this weekend for a visit.  We can hardly wait.

5. Tell us one song you love with the word 'baby' in the title.

I can't do just one.  There were so many great songs from the 60's that had the word 'baby' in the title.
"Since I Met You Baby" by the Ivory Joe Hunter
"There Goes My Baby" by the Drifters
"Baby Love" by the Supremes
"Baby It's Cold Outside" by Dean Martin
"Baby I Need Your Loving" by the Four Tops
"Be My Baby" by the The Ronettes

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

 I continue my fascination with the fowl seen from our sunroom.
 Dick and I had the best time watching a dove on the back fence during a recent downpour.  It was literally taking a shower.  It would raise one wing and then another.  Then when it sensed us watching, it would preen and pose.  We had never seen this before.
Speaking of taking a shower, I caught a Robin taking a bath.  It was hilarious to watch this rambunctious bird splash and shake, then do it again over and over.  You can see the splashed water in the pictures.  When it was finished, it hung itself out to dry.
And of course, I never tire of watching the hummingbirds.  I do wish I could capture the true iridescence of their wings and feathers.

"Joyful, joyful, we adore Thee, God of glory, Lord of love;
Hearts unfold like flow'rs before Thee, op'ning to the sun above.

All Thy works with joy surround Thee, earth and heav'n reflect Thy rays,
Stars and angels sing around Thee, center of unbroken praise.
 Field and forest, vale and mountain, flow'ry meadow, flashing sea,
Singing bird and flowing fountain, call us to rejoice in Thee."

May you have a great rest of your week.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. Your photos are stunning, Libby! I, especially, love the hummingbird shots! I think bird watching is fascinating...I enjoy it, too! Have a wonderful time with your grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed your answers, Elizabeth. I particularly enjoyed your bird photos at the end...birds are so fun to watch and I totally agree about wishing I could capture that gorgeous iridescence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog today is beautiful and I love your answers. Number 1 especially resonated with me and your photos are so wonderful. That robin splashing around without a care in the world! It will be grand for you to see those grands this weekend. You covered all the bases on your lighthouse answer about coming home and I too had a long list of favorite baby songs, which I deleted due to feeling I must follow the rule to name one - even at that I broke the rule because I named two! Lol! Have a super day and great time with those grands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We retired years ago and the most difficult thing to get into our minds was not having to get up and go every morning. Once we were in the habit of not having to drive into work every day, things became much more relaxed.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have so much fun with your grands visiting! We have had a whole little family of hummingbirds in our yard this summer. So much fun to watch them work! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your answer to #1, I'm very schedule oriented but not nearly as structured as I once was. Think it's to do with a thing called "aging." :o)) Enjoy your weekend with the Grans. I'll look forward to pictures.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.