Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Grilled Cheese Anyone?



I'm joining Joyce From This Side of the Pond and our weekly community of Wednesday Hodgepodgers.  Click on Joyce's link and see how some others answer these questions.  Thanks for visiting.

1. What's the last thing you did that could be described as 'taxing'?

I skipped this question to begin with and now after trying to answer #6, I can truthfully say that was one of the most taxing things I've done recently.

2. If you could plant a garden of anything, what would be in it?

Been there, done that!  No gardens at my ripe old age and lack of garden space.  But, I'll play the pretend game and say, tomatoes, lettuce, green beans, squash, and herbs.

3. April 10-16 is National Library Week...will you celebrate with a visit to your nearest library? When did you last make a trip to the library? What are you reading right now? What's one title on your want-to-read list?

I have not been to a library in years.  I mostly read Kindle books on my iPad.  If there is a particular book-book we want, we order it from Amazon.

I am currently reading "Clever Girl" by Lauren Kessler.
<b>Clever-Girl-Kessler</b>-Lauren-9780060185190.jpg
It is the true story of Elizabeth Bentley, New England-born, conservative, Vassar-educated, introvert who eventually began directing operations of the two largest Russian spy rings in America.  She defected in 1945 and told her story.  It is an interesting read.

On my to-read list is a book a friend gave me, "Praying Effectively for the Lost" by Lee E. Thomas.  She says this book has changed the way she prays about everything.  I look forward to spending time with it soon.

4. Share a saying or an old wives tale you heard while growing up, you believed to be true or that you paid attention to 'just in case'?

One of our favorite places to eat in the Carrollton/Plano area is "Mama's Daughter's Diner".  The walls are lined with "Mama said" quotes from the 50's and 60's.  I can relate to everyone of them.  For instance:  "Because I said so"  (I hated that one!); "Don't make me say it again"; "Your face is gonna freeze like that"; "Look at me when I'm talking to you"; "Were you born in a barn?"; "Enough is enough!". And one of my favorites not on the wall:  "If you swallow those watermelon seeds, you'll grow a baby in your tummy!"

5. Are you a fan of onions? Garlic? Ginger? What's a dish you love that contains one, two or all three items listed?

I like sauteed or roasted onions but not raw.  I like some garlic in almost everything.  I don't use a lot of ginger in my cooking.  In the south, we call the mixture of onions, garlic and celery the holy trinity because it is used in so many recipes.  I cannot possibly pick just one dish.  Okay, maybe gumbo.

6.  Where does nurturing end and indulging begin? What are some skills or qualities you think a person needs to possess in order to be viewed as mature?

Oh my goodness, Joyce, I was skating along pretty well until I got to this question.  You are challenging me on this one.  I will venture to say that nurturing ends and indulging begins when we knowingly enable someone to not be independent in both their thinking and actions.  I have seen parents who seem to need to be needed and therefore fail to transfer decision making to the child along the way.

In my opinion a person needs to possess the ability to take responsibility for their own decisions.  They are open to others opinions and weigh them carefully, but in the end stand firm on what they decide.  They put others first.  Show leadership qualities and skills in making people around them feel secure and respected.  Are able to provide for themselves.

7. What leading figure in any field would you like to hear speak, and why?

Our son recently heard Payton Manning speak and said he was one of the best motivational speakers he has ever heard.  I think I would enjoy hearing him as well.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

Did you know that Sunday was National Grill Cheese Sandwich Day?

Time, the once leading magazine recently did a survey and they claim that people who love grilled cheese sandwiches also have more sex. I know, go figure!  Now they tell us.

We need to remember that this once popular magazine is now occasionally found in dental offices under Golf Digest and The Saturday Evening Post, and the general mature population couldn't care less what they think or write about any more.  So why even mention it!

I actually can't think of a good answer to my own question, except to suggest that you might want to take advantage of this National Day for the rest of the week and see what happens.  I personally think a far more relevant topic would be whether those who enjoy their grilled cheese sandwiches cut diagonally are just better people.  (Of course they are!) 

Have a great week!
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. I cut grilled cheese sandwiches diagonally too. The best has to be grilled cheese with bacon and tomato. I thought #6 was a tough one too. Have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go for the diagonal cut, as well. The diner you mentioned sounds like my kind of place. I love anything that's a bit off the beaten path. Happy Wednesday, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear Peyton speak. If I share this news with my hubs he's going to suggest grilled cheese sandwiches on a regular basis-teehee : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. We landscaped our yard with patios, seating areas and plantings with stepping stones everywhere. No place for a garden but would love to have one. I remember all of those sayings!!! Great answer on #6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mama's Daughter is one of our favorite places, too. DH had breakfast there this morning right after his dr appointment. I like your answers and agree that answering number 6 really taxed me as well. I am going to add this book to my list - Praying Effectively for the Lost. I seem to be collecting books on prayer lately. And yes, of course, people who eat grilled cheese spend less time in the kitchen than the bedroom I suppose! I cut ours on the diagonal too.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.