Friday, August 15, 2014

Come With Me to Breckenridge

Day 1 - Friday
Hubby and I got on the road early because we wanted to go the greatest distance the first day.  So, we drove to Salina, Kansas, where LEE Jeans got its start back in the late 1800's.
650 miles and 11 hours.
 Day 2 - Saturday
Again, we got an early start, not only because this would be another long drive, but because we wanted to get through the mountains before dark.
The drive toward Denver on HWY 70 went due west with NO deviation!
For miles and miles the only things to break the horizon were hundreds and hundreds of wind turbines that more closely resembled an alien take-over.
 After several hours, we finally saw the mountains of Denver ahead.  They were a very welcome sight!
 Before long we were up close and personal with the Rocky Mountains and cars as far as the eye could see both ahead and behind!  It took us over an hour to go 10 miles.  At least the view was beautiful!
Finally, our temporary home!
 What remained of the day was spent settling in and getting reacquainted with our family.
Day 3 - Sunday
This was the view from our upstairs bedroom window.  I looked forward to opening the blinds every morning to behold this amazing sight.
The clouds were heavy, the temperature was cool and it was a bit rainy this morning.
Thankfully, it didn't last long and before long there were worshipers at the historic Catholic Church across the street
and the Episcopal Church right next door.  This friendly man volunteered to pose for me.
In the afternoon, the beautiful weather gave us an opportunity to walk the two blocks down to the Main Street (at traffic light below).
Sunday evening, we went to the local Backstage Theater to see "Spamalot."  It was an excellent performance done by all local actors and actresses.
 The actor on the right below, an 8th grade school teacher, played several different parts with different voices for each part.  He did an amazing job.  I can only imagine what his classes must be like.

What a great first day in Breckenridge!

NOW SOME HISTORY!
Established in 1859, this quaint Victorian town is nestled at the base of the massive Tenmile Range in the Blue River Valley.  Prior to WWII, Breckenridge was a thriving gold mining town.  Today it is a ski town in the truest sense of the term, with the three-mountain Breckenridge Ski Resort dropping nearly to the little town's bustling Main Street.
 Today, many of the Victorian buildings preserved from the mid-19th century are bed & breakfasts,
restaurants, museums and retail shops.
Fatty's Pizzeria is in one of the oldest Victorian homes and only one block from our 1865 house.
Lest you think it is all old, there are several luxury hotels, convention centers and condominium complexes scattered on the hills between Main Street and the ski area.
Before the 1960's, there wasn't much to see or do here.  It was in 1961 that the first ski run and resort was built and a Norwegian skiing champion became the director of the first Breckenridge Ski School.  And this little mining town grew from less than 400 residents to almost 4,000 a few years ago.

The town continues to be developed into a place in which one would want to live or vacation all year round.

Breckenridge is built right on the Blue River and is one of the oldest continually occupied mining towns in the state.
 
 Among the Victorian and the ultra modern luxury, there still harbors a bit of a frontier feel to this town.


 Next week we will resume my daily happenings. 
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Colorado is my favorite place. I have been to beaver creek. I loved your temporary home - how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this makes me want to go back. It's been at least 30 years since we've been. I can't believe that but it's the truth. And, I well remember that very long drive.

    And, I think you are about to head to Indiana in a few days for a long stay. I do hope your back is doing okay.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house is adorable and your pictures are lovely. I love Colorado...there is beauty at every turn and the air is so clear and the sky is huge. My dad grew up in Colorado so I've spent some time there. Your pictures make me want to get back.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.