One of the things I always look forward to on Tuesday is reading and responding to Joyce's
probing and thought provoking questions for the
1. Are you watching the Olympics? Your favorite summer Olympic event? I read recently a list of the most iconic Olympic moments in history...what stands out in your mind as a great moment from some past summer Olympic games?
Yes, I have watched a good bit of the Olympics this week. My favorites are of course swimming and gymnastics, but I have also enjoyed watching Rugby this year. It is a newly added sport and it is so exciting. Since our grandson played Rugby in HS, we have an elementary understanding and a deep appreciation for the game. Direct TV has given us access to several options of sports and events taking place all during the day and I have enjoyed watching these.
There are actually three events that stand out in my mind as iconic moments.
First would be USA's Rulon Gardner's 1984 wrestling match against the Russian wrestler who hadn't lost a match in 13 years and had a brutal reputation. Rulon was just a country boy who worked hard on his little farm. In overtime, he dominated and had a major upset for the Gold metal.
Third, and perhaps most memorable was in 1992 in Barcelona, when British runner, Derek Redmond tore his hamstring during a semi-final race and his father ran onto the track and helped his son complete the race. Amazing!
How about the place that started it all-Greece? Yes!!!
Have you ever been to any of the Olympic Games in person? No
Is that something you'd like to do? Yes, perhaps if it was held in the USA.
Have you ever met an Olympian in person? No
3. The ball's in their court (tennis), cross the finish line (track and field), on target (archery), make a splash (diving), on a roll (gymnastics), out of one's depth (swimming)...which Olympic-related idiom best applies to your life right now? Explain.
make a splash (diving) - I was able to get back to the gym this morning after letting my abused hip heal for a couple weeks and spent my time in the pool. That will be the extent of my workouts until after my neck checkup in Sept. and eventual hip surgery.
4. What have you earned a 'gold medal' in recently?
Enjoying my granddaughter's visit last week. We did so many fun things and we both earned a gold medal.
5. What is it (or who is it) that motivates you to eat right, exercise, and do what you can to be healthy?
My motivation comes from knowing I don't have a choice if I want to be mobile as I get older.
6. Are you young at heart or an old soul? Explain.
I think I'm probably both. My grandchildren tell me I'm the youngest of the grandmothers of their friends regardless of my age and that makes me feel good. But I also know that I am an old soul when it comes to morals and expectations.
7. It's National S'mores Day (August 10th)...are you a fan? Will you celebrate with a s'more today?
Nope and nope!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
This is as close to making a political statement as I will go.