Monday, May 19, 2014

Why We Keep Going Back

 A few weeks ago while we were in Indiana, we made our customary trek into the land of the Amish and Mennonite in Shipshewana.

Shipshewana is a bustling little village with quaint shop-lined streets, specialty retailers and home-style dining.

We enjoyed some of the home-style dining in a converted old home called the Breadbox.

 We also enjoyed sampling some of the dozens of locally made jellies.
 Shipshewana is a great place to shop for handcrafted items, baked goods, cheeses and all sorts of interesting things inside picturesque turn of-the-century storefronts.
One such place was the cute and stuffed-to-the-brim Lasting Impressions Gift Shoppe.  While I shopped, Dick visited with one of the shop owners and learned all sorts of interesting things about the business.
 When we left, she sent us a couple little shops down the street to introduce ourselves to her co-owner who runs another shared business.  I think she found our southern drawl worth sharing around.
We saw this large colorful stained glass window in this shop and wished we had a place to hang it.
Dick also found this sign and suggested it might be applicable.  I wasn't sure whether that was a compliment or not.  LOL

Outside the Breadbox was this trellis over an outdoor eating area.
Upon closer examination, we realized it was actually four different vines which had wrapped themselves around the four corner posts.

 The branches had grown and been trained to interweave and cover the trellis overhead creating an indistinguishable union.
Over the years, the vines have grown and separated the original wooden frame.
You can see where the branches have been trimmed from time to time in order to control the growth and to keep the branches healthy.
 As I looked at this entertangling of vines and branches, I couldn't help think of the scripture found in John 15.
I am the true vine, and My Father is the vineyard keeper.  Every branch in Me that does not produce fruit He removes, and He prunes every branch that produces fruit so that it will produce more fruit....
I am the vine; you are the branches.  The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me.  (HCSB)
 
I'm sure that vine is producing beautiful, healthy blooms that provide color and shade for visitors there now.
I pray that my life will be fruitful as well because I can do nothing without my True Vine.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, what fun! I love the Amish and they have the best baked items and hand crafted items. I can certainly see why you continue to revisit.

    Have yourself a wonderful week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I'd love to visit the Amish and ALL of this. I just know I would love it. I'd visit it many times too if I were you. Great scripture! Enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks like a lovely place to visit. I would love to enjoy all of the quaint little shops. That's what I love most about traveling to places like this. I find the most unique things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely trip. Thanks so much for sharing your tour. I think it would be fabulous to visit and check out the little town and shops. Lovely scripture too.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.