Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Things About May and Twigs

Can it honestly be the middle of May already?
Yes, time passes so very quickly these days, and as Joyce wrote,
Wednesdays roll around mighty fast.  I always look forward to joining her and other ladies all across our country for

So, click on the link above after reading my blog, of course, and see what others have to say.

1. It's still May, right? When were you last in the middle of something that might be described as mayhem?

Last fall we and friends went to the Texas Fair.  This is no ordinary fair, mind you, so we got there early in order to enjoy some of the exhibits and in time to see the Japanese Lantern display right about dusk.  When we came out it was dark and the press of humanity had entered the grounds.  I. DO. NOT. enjoy this at all and we left in short order.

2. When did you last feel dismayed?

How to handle difficult situations in the right manner can be disconcerting to me and recently, I was dismayed with how others handled a situation in which we were all involved.

3. What's a food combination you like, but other people may find strange?

Sunday evening I roasted veggies consisting of brussel sprouts, red potatoes and zucchini.  They were delicious and we had plenty left.  So, on Monday I put them in the Ninja and made soup.  My mother taught me that left-overs make the best soups.

4. "It is never too late to be what you might have been." Do you think that's true? Why or why not?

Yes and no.  I believe that an opportunity lost may be impossible to recapture and these experiences help mold us into who are or will become.  Sometimes we can't go back and re-do or un-do things that have affected us.  On the other hand, I do think that often life offers us opportunities to overcome obstacles that might have held us down at one time.

As a Christian, I believe when we come to know Christ as our Savior, we become new creatures and the old is passed away.  And since our Creator is the only one Who knows what we were meant to be, then all things are possible for those who are called according to His purpose.
  
5. US News and World Report listed the best historic destinations in the US as follows-Washington D.C, Philadelphia PA, Williamsburg VA, Charleston SC, Boston MA, Richmnd VA, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe NM, Yellowstone, San Antonio TX, San Francisco CA, New Orleans LA, and Charlottesville VA.

Of those listed how many have you seen in person? Which two sites on the list would you most like to see in person?

I have seen Washington D.C, Williamsburg, VA, Charleston SC, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe NM, San Antonio TX, San Francisco CA and New Orleans, LA

Since there are only two that I haven't seen, Philadelphia and Charlottesville would be my logical choices; however, I would most like to revisit Santa Fe.  We have been there many times, and I just never tire of that part of the country.

6. May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. If you had to participate in a single fitness activity for the next half hour, which activity would you choose?

Water Jogging
 
7. What did you like best about the city, town, or neighborhood where you grew up?

The acceptance of everyone.  Older adults were called Aunt and Uncle and the kids were like brothers and sisters.  Small town USA in the 50's and 60's were unlike any other time or place.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


While we were visiting family in Granger, IN, I heard about a Twig House Sculpture at nearby Fernwood Botanical Gardens & Nature Preserve in Niles, Michigan.  Hubby and I decided this would be a fun excursion. 
The sculpture was done by Patrick Dougherty.  An interesting video of how he does his sculptures can be seen HERE
 
 One of my favorite aspects were the shadows.
 
 Hubby enjoyed playing peek-a-boo for my camera.
 
 We look forward to returning to Fernwood for another season when there will be more flowers, but this was a very enjoyable trip.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, those twig sculptures! So, so interesting!

    Gotta love the Ninja, can conjure up all kinds of goodies in them.

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Twig House Sculpture...so fascinating! I loved your answer to #4...what a wonderful way to look at it. Have a great day, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the twig sculptures.

    Your soup made of leftovers sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't have enjoyed the nighttime scene at the fair either. The twig home is just amazing. Never seen anything like it! Enjoyed your Hodgepodge today. Such a good idea about leftovers for soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go with making soup from your leftovers. I love exercise in the water. Those tree houses are so cool, glad you got to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Love those Twig House Sculptures! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.