Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Castles and Shacks

We have to admire and abundantly appreciate Joyce for taking her busy, busy time to give us Wednesday Hodgepodge this week. 
She is busy moving into a new house, so thank you, Joyce.
1. Besides your very own house, describe a place where you feel most 'at home'? 

I could say my children's and sister's homes, or the home of some of our friends, but I think I will say my car.  I'm in it every day and love the way it drives and rides.  I have the seat set to fit just me at the push of a button.  The XM radio is set to all my favorite stations.  I have three pairs of sunglasses and all I might need on long or short trips in reach.  So, my car is my home away from home.

2. When did you last 'hit a home run' with something? Explain. 

Back years ago when casseroles were always on the dinner table, Chicken Divan was one of our very favorites.  I had not thought about it in years until Hubby mentioned it last week.  It sounded so good that I had to pull out my stained and faded recipe and make it.  Oh my goodness, let me just say, it was a definite home run. 
3. Tell us about something you love in your house or kitchen that is 'homemade'. 

I guess the only things in my house that are 'homemade' would be my paintings.

4. 'A man's home is his castle'...which of the world's ten most captivating castles (according to The Travel Channel) would you most like to visit and why-


Mont Saint-Michel (France), Edinburgh Castle (Scotland), Neuschwanstein Castle (Germany), Glamis Castle (Scotland), Windsor Castle (England), Chateu de Chambord (France), Hampton Court Palace (England), Prague Castle (Prague), St. Michael's Mount (England), Leeds Castle (England), and Swallow's Nest (Ukraine)
 This was not an easy or quick question to answer because I was really not familiar with all of these.  After doing a google search on each one, I have selected the Neuschwanstein Castle (Germany).  Why?  Because of its sheer beauty both inside and out; in fact it is known as the "Fairy Tale Castle."
5. What's a recent or upcoming plan or project that's required you do a little homework before getting started? Did the homework cause you to abandon your plan or adjust it in some way?

A friend has asked me to do a painting for her to dress up her recently updated guest bathroom.  I had to see the room, measure the wall space for size of canvas, discuss with my friend colors and what she envisions, then shop for the canvas.  At this point, the plan is still evolving.

6. In your opinion, is homework an unnecessary evil or a valuable practice? Should schools be done with homework? Why or why not? 

I have some mixed feelings about this.  I do think some homework is required; however, I feel the amount some teachers/schools demand is extremely overdone.  My sister is a first-grade teacher and speaks often of the lack of parental involvement in the child's education.  This makes requiring young children to do things at home without parents participation is redundant and defeating for the child.

7. Share a favorite memory of your childhood hometown. 

Until my mid eighth grade year, I lived in rural south Louisiana, or better known as Acadiana.  We had a fun Mardi Gras tradition where children would be loaded on the back of a flat bed truck and driven around the country side.  At each home, we would jump off and sing "Ta, ta, the Mardi Gras, give us a chicken and we'll go home."  The homeowner would go catch a chicken, ring its neck, put it in grass sack and give it to us.  This was not my favorite part.  But at the end of the trip, we would take the chickens back to the local school where there would be huge pots of Sauce Piquant and rice cooking.  The whole community would come together and share food and fun.
8. Insert your own random thought here. 

In contrast with the castles in question 4, let me share where Hubby and I had lunch last Friday.
 I know!  This is not a place we would have ever noticed much less enter.
A couple weeks ago there was an article in our local paper about this place that evidently got a lot of attention.
 Located about 12 miles from our home, Shank Cat's is in an old school building around 100 years old.  The paint has peeled off substantially, giving it the look of something from a movie set from the '40's.
Edwin "Bobo" Scott has operated this Southern barbecue place for the last 15 years.  The land and building were left to him by his grandmother for whom the restaurant is named.  Bobo doesn't remember how she got the nickname, Shank Cat, but he decided to name his place in her honor.

Once inside, the decor does not improve, but one could call it country comfortable.  There is nothing fancy here at all, but once you step inside and are greeted by the friendly folks and taste the food, you forget about all the other.

They are open Thursday through Saturday, 11 - 3:00.  We had "melt-in-your-mouth" delicious ribs - thus the sign that advertises "No Teeth Required!"
 We will be going back for sure for the Ribeye and baked potato on Thursday.  Hubby loved the soft tea cake cookies and I look forward to tasting their banana pudding.

Sometimes the best things can be found in a hole-in-the-wall place in the country.  It sure was for us at Shank Cats Shack.  But, if you require silver, crystal, and linen napkins, you may want get a take-out.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Love some out of the way small town BBQ! Usually the best! That chicken story made me smile. I cannot imagine that happening today. My younger daughter always asks me to make chicken divan for her birthday dinner. That's the only time I make it anymore, but we love it too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love little hole in the wall places and BBQ makes all the better! Wish you were closer, I'd jump in the car and head there for lunch. Your chicken crawl memory is interesting, I'm not sure I could watch the process...yikees! Having a community meal is always a blessing.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of feel the same way about my car. One of the many things that I miss about Texas is its BBQ. The hole in the wall places always have the best food. When we visit a new town, I always ask a native for restaurant suggestions. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is country eating. My grandma always had a stack of white bread on the table for every meal and grandpa always had it with gravy over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting answer on your car but I can see why you feel that way. I love my car! I love making casseroles. My husband didn't like them years ago but there are so many good ones on Pinterest. Would love to see what you paint for your friend. Love your childhood memory. Glad you enjoyed Shank Cat's, sounds interesting. Had to laugh at the "no teeth required!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny that most "hole in the walls" serve up some mighty good vittles. Guess we can't judge a book by it's cover.

    My vehicle feels mighty homey too. I'd never thought about it until you mentioned it. But, I have the console loaded with any and everything I could need and only 2 pair of sunglasses. :o))

    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.