Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What Lasting Love and Workout Attire Have in Common

It's Wednesday and thank you Joyce for

1.What makes love last?
  • A whole lot of work!
  • Realizing that "love" is not always the same as "like"
  • Developing common interests and goals while at the same time maintaining an independence
  • Turning your relationship over to the Lord and allowing Him to love thru you when times get tough
  • Forgiveness
  • Patience
  • Commitment
  • Spontaneity
  • Participating in the interests of the other whether they are your favorites or not
 Hubby and I have said we stayed together because we decided early on that the first one to leave had to take the kids.  Then, after they grew up and gave us grandchildren, we stayed together because neither of us wanted to share them with someone else.  LOL!  So whether it was selfishness or working together to make our love last, we will celebrate 49 years in September.  Something worked!

2. The Beatles made their US debut fifty years ago this week. Are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite Beatles tune?

Not a fan, never was even after seeing their debut on the Ed Sullivan Show.  And, I never understood the mania.


Ed Sullivan (center) stands with The Beatles during a rehearsal for the British group's first American appearance, on the Ed Sullivan Show, in New York on Feb. 9, 1964.
 
  3. Valentine's Day-your thoughts? Do you celebrate in any way? Do anything special for the people you love? Expect anything special from the people who love you?

I guess we are old fuddy duds, but, we don't usually celebrate this day any more than others.  We used to share a Valentine card, but haven't done that in a long time.  We usually go out with friends for dinner, but that's about it.  This week, we will join husbands and wives of a new women's organization I recently joined for a special evening.  So it will be a get-acquainted time for us as well.  I always enjoy time with my Sweetheart.

 
4. Steak or burger...you have to choose. Now that that's settled, how do you like it?

Right now, we are not eating meats but in the past, give me a juicy, tender Filet Mignon cooked medium well.

 
5. The Hodgepodge lands on the birthdate (February 12th) of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America. Lincoln is quoted as saying, 'Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character give him power.' Do you agree? Why or why not?

I do agree with this.  One's true character will always rise to the top when given power.  How one handles power is determined by one's character.  Persons from pastors, school principals, HOA leaders, politicians and the Occupier are prime examples.  Nuff said!

 
 
6. Honest Abe's image is featured on the US penny (1 cent coin) so I'm wondering...what do you do with your pennies (or your country's equivalent)? It's been suggested the US stop making the penny, and two bills have been introduced proposing just that, but neither were approved. What say you?

I really have no opinion on this, but having grown up when pennies were actually worth something, I kinda like them.  I will admit though getting and giving small change is a bother.  What do I do with them?  They mount up in my coin purse until I find an opportunity to use them.  We also have a container where we collect loose change.  Amazing how quickly it mounts up.

 
7. Do you think pop culture deserves serious study?

Okay, I had to look this up.  Wikipedia had this definition:
"Popular culture is the entirety of ideas, perspectives, attitudes, memes,[1] images, and other phenomena that are within the mainstream of a given culture, especially Western culture of the early to mid 20th century and the emerging global mainstream of the late 20th and early 21st century. Heavily influenced by mass media, this collection of ideas permeates the everyday lives of the society."

Now, does it deserve serious study and by whom?  Speaking from my personal background, I do think it is beneficial for persons trying to minister to and reach a particular age group to understand what influences them.  It is difficult for those who grew up with different mores' and in a different time to understand where a new generation is coming from.

 
 
8. Insert your own random thought here.


On the world view scheme of things this will rank pretty close to the bottom in importance.

Over a year ago, my Daughter-in-love introduced 2 in 1 capris to me.

As you know, Hubby and I are regular gym attenders.  On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I do cardio on the treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike for an hour before going up to the weight machine area.

One morning a while back, I made a rather uncomplimentary comment to Hubby about the posterior of another woman at the gym.  His response shocked me, and just flat hurt my feelings.

He said something like, "Have you considered what yours looks like when people come through the door?"  Nope, not the response I had anticipated!  And definitely one of those "Now why did I marry this man?" moments!

But, it did make me think.  The treadmills I use are right in front of and facing away from the main door and naturally, while I am walking my legs off, my derriere is for all to see.  Then when I go upstairs to work out and stretch, again my tight-fitting workout pants leave nothing to the imagination.
Enter the 2 in 1 Capri!
Sooooo, with Hubby's encouragement and support, I forked out ten times the price of my Marshall's and Sam's Club pants for a couple pairs of these from Athleta.   The cute little skirt covers my bottom and gives me some much needed modesty.

They even have reflector strips for outdoor walking.

I love them and have had so many compliments.  I now don't worry about what folks may be seeing when they enter the gym.
Valentines Quotes!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Love the answer-who leaves must take the children-this would make more marriages last today! I think I will pass this thought on to our pastor at church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your workout pants! I think I may have seen them at our Sam's. I just might have to purchase a pair and hope they work, being that I'm only 4'11". They'll probably look like full-length pants on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers...and lovin' the workout pants.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your work out capris. That is just too cute and love the whole random thought. So funny! But, I'm with you, I would not have been a happy gal with Tommy if he had said such to me. Guess the truth hurts us sometimes. Happy icy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at all the years together... that's so awesome. I actually had written down "work" for my answer at first too... it takes it.

    LOVE he 2 in 1 capris... I only run in my running skirts - no one needs to see things jiggling on me if I can prevent it!

    love you two are going to the gym together & adapting a healthy lifestyle!! Thumbs up to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Athleta gear. I somehow got on their mailing list a while back, and became a fan. Only people married a long time know its okay to make comments like that one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so blessed to have a happy marriage. I love a good filet! Love those new 2 in 1 pants, they seem perfect. ((Hugs)) on that comment from your hubby.....

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.