Wednesday, September 16, 2026

A Beautiful Hodgepodge

Thank you for joining this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge where Joyce asks the questions and we answer.


1. How do you define beauty? 

This is an interesting question as my blog title is "Beauty Without Within."  Most definitions of beauty deal with one's outward appearance - what is seen by the human eye and judged by preconceived ideas and ideals.  There is nothing wrong with doing everything we can to enhance the outward beauty that God gave us, and to dress appropriately in order to impress and create a positive and impressive image to the world, for His glory.  However, the whole premise of my blog is that for the truly beautiful woman, there is always that beauty that comes from within.

My second blog post back in 2011 titled, "Confidence" ended with the following statement:
  
Walk with real confidence my sister "Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."  (Philippians 1:6)  You are God's Special Lady!

The next blog on IMAGE held this statement:

 The image I project to others must not just be couched in what I wear, but it must be a true reflection of the person I am inside and whom I represent.  For you see, I represent my Father, the King of Kings!  And, this is the image that others must see without the distraction of a contradictory appearance.

So, this summarizes my definition of true beauty!

2. Have you ever taken a trip by train? If so where did you go and what did you think of the experience? If not do you have any desire to do so? Where would you like to go? (You might find inspiration here-The Best Train Trips in The World)

Durango to Silverton, CO

My only train trips have been beautiful scenic rides.  The most memorable ones were to Seward, Alaska, and in Colorado.  Yes, we would love to take a more lengthy trip but not to any included in the link.  We would love to travel to the Northwest, but doubt that dream will be a reality at this point.

3. Shell shocked, bombshell, bandshell, shellacking, in a nutshell, walking on eggshells...choose one and tell us why you chose it, or how it relates to your life in some way currently.


I had trouble identifying with any of these, but I will go with "nutshell."  Why?  Let's go with this:  In a nutshell, life as a very senior adult (almost 82) can be challenging for many reasons, and yet it is the most content phase of our lives.  That, my dear friends is a blessing that can only come from living in confidence with Jesus Christ, knowing He is sovereign and all our todays and tomorrows are in His hands.


4. Tacos, pistachios, oysters, clams, eggs...your favorite food on the list that comes in/with a shell?


Definitely eggs!

 

5. Are birthdays a big deal in your house? Is your own birthday a big deal in some way? Elaborate.


 In jest, I put together this collage for my 80th birthday, and it probably still applies.


No, we do not make a big deal about birthdays, although we do contact each of our family members on their special day.  My own birthday hasn't been a big deal for as long as I can remember.  Hubby usually takes me out for dinner, but that is about it.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 



Speaking of birthdays, we will be flying to South Bend, IN a week from today to celebrate our great granddaughter, Navy Grace on her 2nd birthday.  We were there in July for her big brother's 4th birthday.  So maybe we do make a big deal for certain birthdays.  It is such a blessing to be included for these special events and we surely don't mind making the trip to be there.


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's special to have grandparents (and greats) as part of a birthday celebration. Makes a child feel so loved too. We are planning a trip out west next year and it's a lot to book and organize. No trains though, but there will be a lot of miles driven. We're potentially going with two other couples but everyone is weighing in now on the itinerary and if timing works for them so we'll see. Happy birthday to your little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I do hope your trip comes to fruition. Our trips out west have been some of our favorites. So much to see and enjoy! We especially enjoyed Utah.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic definition of beauty!
    I am glad you are content in life and I love the collage you put together for your 80th birthday! hehehe
    Aww! Have a wonderful time with your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contentment is a reward in itself. Lovely answers. Parties for the 'littles' in our lives are always special. Enjoy your time in Indiana! Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your great grandchildren are so beautiful!! I love your photo collage - I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny, some people are really BIG on birthdays and celebrating them and others aren't. We observe but we don't make a big deal out of them and I never did with my sons because I didn't want them thinking that everything was about them. Just how I was raised. We acknowledge, have some cake and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.