Friday, July 15, 2016

Five Year Look Back for Today's Post

Being that I am celebrating my five years of blogging this month,
I thought I would follow up and post the second one that was posted exactly five years today.

Although I had NO comments and probably NO readers, it is still one of my favorite posts.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Image

This week I spent some time shopping with my two oldest granddaughters, 18 and 15, who by the way are absolutely precious and so much fun to be with.  As we were looking and trying on, I couldn't help wondering how in the world any young lady today can develop an eye for appropriate clothing.  If you have been in a mall lately, you know what I'm talking about.  The amount of fabric in any garment is so minimal.  I think the designers must have had a contest to see who could make the lowest and shortest dresses with the most bling.

With that in mind I was reminded of a recent article written by Natalie Livingstone for Vogue Magazine about Charlene Wittstock, now the bride of Prince Albert of Monaco.  Wittstock made this statement:
"Finding my fashion feet has certainly been the biggest challenge," she says, remembering her 'trial by fire' at Monaco's 2007 Red Cross Ball.  "I was literally a fish out of water.  I thought it was all fun, fun, fun, and didn't give my outfit any thought.  I had been playing beach volleyball all day, painted my nails red, and threw on a green dress.  I thought I looked great at the time, but looking back, I realize that my debut into Monaco society should have been better executed!"
 Has this ever happened to you?  It sure has to me!  There have been times when I either did not put enough thought into my appearance for a particular event or totally misjudged the appropriateness of my attire.

I will never forget thinking I looked pretty cute for a class I attended only to be told that I evidently dressed only to get attention.  This judgmental statement angered me at first and I let the person know how much I resented the remark; however, afterward I realized that my accuser had actually done me a favor.  My appearance had mistakenly conveyed a false message about me.

Charlene Wittstock claims that from her embarrassing experience she learned how to dress more suitably for her body and her new role.  She watched other people, listened to constructive comments, and sought professional opinions, all of which resulted in the new princess establishing her own personal style.  After all, she represents the Prince of Monaco!  I think she was pretty successful, don't you?

From my embarrassing experience, I also learned a valuable lesson.  The image I project to others must not just be couched in what I wear, but it must be a true reflection of the person I am inside and whom I represent.  For you see, I represent my Father, the King of Kings!  And, this is the image that others must see without the distraction of a contradictory appearance.

Hence and therefore, came my study of "Beauty Without Within."  How to truly be God's Special Lady.

Please stay with me as we take this interesting journey together.  Have a great weekend.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

3 comments:

  1. And a very nice post! Congratulations on your five years. The princess did figure it out very well. And you have, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! We had to navigate the fashion world with teen daughters; and the "pickings were slim". Fortunately, they were not eager to wear most of the trends that were being presented to them. And, now, as young women, they have developed their own styles; and I think they have done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post...the pickings are slim for us older folks---the in between age---the almost 50 age...I don't want to dress young and I don't want to dress old...anyways....thank you for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.