Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Humming Through the Hodgepodge

There is a lot going on at From This Side of the Pond, so Iam grateful when Joyce takes the time to send questions that need to be answered.  There won't be a Hodgepodge next week, so I will find something else to post about.
But, today, you can enjoy how all the Hodgepodgers have answered the questions by clicking HERE


1. We've reached edition number 315 here in the Wednesday Hodgepodge. So tell us, what were you doing at 3:15 yesterday? Is that typical? On a scale of 1-10 (with 1 being low and 10 being high) what's your energy level usually like at 3:15 PM?

Dick and I were sitting in the sunroom.  He was reading and I was finishing a movie I had started earlier on my iPad from Amazon Prime entitled "Last Word" with Shirley McClain, while also watching two hummingbirds soar and suddenly dip to one of the feeders just outside one of our windows.  There was also a delicious squash casserole cooking in the oven.  Retirement is wonderful!

2. A frisbee, a tantrum, a towel, a party, a punch, or a curveball...which have you most recently thrown or had thrown at/for you? Elaborate.

We don't like thrown things around here very much so this is a tuffy.  This is so mundane, but it's the only thing I can think of.  I had plans to do my regular Monday workout in the gym pool yesterday at 11:30 and Dick informed me the pool was closed for repairs.  That was a curveball to my plans and how I wanted to spend an hour of my day.  I know, this is such a third world problem.

3. What are three things that would help you right now. Tell us how or why.

1.  Cooler weather - we have had weeks of a heat index of over 100
2.  Someone to regularly weed my flowerbeds - see above plus add in hoards of mosquitoes
3.  Having all of my kids and grand kids in one place at one time - we are all so spread out and involved that getting together is almost impossible.  We did however manage to pull it off when grandson played in the Cotton Bowl this past Jan. 1. 

4. Do you think you're strong? Why or why not? What makes you strong?

I'm assuming you are not referring to physical strength, but I'll answer that as well.  I am not as physically strong as I once was or as I would like to be again.  But I continue to work out to maintain, but I'm not into heavy weight lifting like I was a couple years ago.  Age oh blessed age!

Yes, I do think I'm a strong person.  First of all I am the oldest child and birth order plays a part in personality.

Second, I am very competitive, most of all with myself, so I don't permit myself to be weak for the most part.  Unless it benefits me.  LOL!

Third, my mother was a very strong woman and set the example.  My dad also encouraged us in this respect.  Although both would love to have had a less strong-willed child many times during those years, I'm sure.

Fourth, there have been situations in my life that required strength beyond my own ability and I learned that I must rely on Jesus Christ to provide what I didn't possess.  Hard times can either break us or make us stronger.  I choose to grow stronger.

Fifth, "I am nothing without Christ!"  He gives me the strength to do things that require inner strength and strength beyond my own capabilities.

5. Do you enjoy reading historical fiction? What's your favorite book set sometime in the past?
Yes I do and Francine Rivers is one of my favorite authors and "Linage of Grace" is one of my favorites of hers.  I also like to read Janette Oke as another favorite author of historical fiction.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

These are some of the pictures I took yesterday of the hummingbirds outside my window.  Such an amazing creation.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...and let birds multiply on the earth."
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my. I so enjoyed your answers and especially addressing your strength! Excellent! Your family is beautiful and the photos of the mockingbird are so good. I loved that book by Francine Rivers, and one of her other books was on my list of favorites. Yes, retirement is pretty wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful photos of the hummingbird! It is hard for families to get together when they're spread across this huge country. I'm glad you were able to see each other in January. Continue to enjoy retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed doing the hodgepodge and plan on jumping back on board soon...your hummingbird pictures are SO good! I love Francine Rivers but I have not read this one which is exciting. I will look for it today! I share your desire to gather the family together. It's just soo hard when there are soo many of them, but we do we try. Hope the rest of your week goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummingbirds are so cool. Beautiful photos. That's a great shot of the family, too. Glad you all could get together for that fun event. I enjoyed reading your answers. Here's hoping for a cool down in temps for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos of the Hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a perfect 3:15 to me! Love the hummingbird photos. I love your list of three things. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have three hummingbird feeders here, two outside the office window and one in my kitchen window. I especially love the one in the kitchen because I can get so close to them. They're amazing little creatures aren't they? We've had some really hot weather here too, but the storms last night seemed to drop it down a degree or two. Yard work has to happen before 8 or it's just too unbearable. Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hummingbird pictures are EXCELLENT! You must have zoomed in close and how did you get them to hold still long enough for such clarity?!! (smile)

    Thanks for your words on strength, your Source of it. I am with you there.

    You have a most beautiful family but you are so right, it is very challenging to get everybody together at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those hummingbird pictures. We've had several flying around our front porch this summer. I wanted to get a feeder, but haven't been able to find one in our small town. Don't know why I didn't think of checking for one on Amazon until just now as I was typing this. Of to see what I can find now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your answers today and you certainly have captured some amazing hummer shots! This is always a challenge for me...taking shots of hummers...they are such speedy little critters! I'm always willing to keep trying for better capture than the last one! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you are a strong woman, a steel magnolia, we call it in the South. :o)) I missed the HP this week but had my hands full with B and the boys. They left this morning after an 8 day visit and T and I are sitting here enjoying peace and quiet and thankful for the memories of a fun time. Loved the hummingbird pics!

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.