Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Hodgepodge Full of Personality

Happy to be joining Joyce for the
today.
Click on the link above and join us.
1. What color is prominent in your home? Are you glad about that or wishing you could cover it up or remove it?

My walls are are varying shades of light khaki with a tinge of gold, with the exception of the master bed/bath and the adjoining sun room which is a soft olive.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I have dark hardwood floors, and again, love them.  I can't think of one single thing in my home that I would change at this point.

2. What's something you'll NEVER do again?

Have children.  Going for the obvious here, but still just saying, I'm well passed that.

3. Tell us a couple of ways you fit the stereotypes associated with your gender, and a couple of ways you don't.

I think the gender stereotypes are changing and not for the better necessarily.  Men, for instance used to be expected to be MEN, not necessarily bear slayers, but strong in build and character; leaders and supporters.  Today's image has become much, much softer and much less appealing in my estimation.  Likewise, the female gender is now expected to be the strong dominating leader in the home and encouraged to take on this role in society, and the workplace as well.  I attribute this reverse gender role to be part of our societal issues today.

The woman of my day was expected to get married, have children and be a stay-at-home mom.  I wanted nothing more than to do all three.   When my youngest was in pre-school I took a part-time job, then when the kids were in high school, I worked full-time outside the home.  Now, how am I different from the basic stereotypes of my day?  Back then, girls were expected to come out of the womb "girly" - to like frills and dolls and tea sets.  I was never a frilly girl but instead a bit of a tom boy, preferring a bicycle to a doll any day.  I had a strong will and was a typical assertive 1st born.  Today, my character is still much the same, but I have taken on a more feminine, soft side, I think.


4. May is Motorcycle Awareness Month. Have you ever owned a motorcycle? Ever ridden a motorcycle? If the opportunity presented itself would you hop on a motorcycle and go for a ride?

Yes, we have owned three different motorcycles.  Yes, I have ridden a motorcycle, and yes, I have also driven a motorcycle.  I did it because it was expedient at the time, but I have never felt so vulnerable than when on one.  If you know me at all, then you know I don't do well with vulnerable.  I did enjoy being out in the open, but it was also being out in the open that made me uncomfortable.  No, I have done that and have no desire to ever ride another.

5. If someone wanted to understand you, what should they read, watch, and listen to?

It is my desire that when one sees me, they would see Jesus in and through me.  It would be through those lens that I would like to be understood.

Read:  This article on The Complex Personality of Creative People describes some of my character traits.
Watch:  HGTV relates to my love for decorating and home; Hallmark Movies reflects my need for a happy sappy ending
Listen:  Handel's Messiah


6.  Insert your own random thought here.

 Today, Tuesday is my granddaughter, Cassidy's 21st birthday.  She is beautiful, smart and very brave.  As a senior at the University of Texas, she committed to spend six months studying in Barcelona, Spain.  While there she has taken every opportunity to explore other parts of the world.
She has seen several cities in Spain, she has been to other European cities such as Rome and Paris, and just last week was in Tangier, Morocco.  I so admire her spirit and desire to step out of her comfort zone.  She has fallen in love with Barcelona and will leave reluctantly.  Happy Birthday my special Cassidy!

 Early Wednesday morning, Dick and I leave for Indiana.  We will be visiting our son and his family.  Our granddaughter, Savannah will graduate high school on Friday night.  She and her club soccer team will also be playing in the state playoffs while we are there.

So, there will be lots to blog about, but in the meantime,  I will see you as time allows.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

9 comments:

  1. First off, I hope you're having safe travels to Indiana. Your Cassidy sounds like an adventurous spirit. I love that. Those study abroad programs are so full of opportunity. Think of the memories she's making. That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Complex Personality of Creative People was very insightful. Thank you for posting the link. What an amazing opportunity Cassidy is having in Spain! She'll return with so many great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our answers are all very similar! Especially the motorcycle answer! Happy birthday to your beautiful granddaughter. You and your husband have quite a beautiful and accomplished family. I know you will have a great time in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will go ahead and admit I am surprised on your motorcycle answer...just didn't see you doing that, lol, NOT that's there's anything wrong with it of course, just surprising. Your grandkids ALL seem to live such interesting, different and full lives. How exciting for your grand daughter. Happy birthday to her! Enjoy your trip and I'll be looking forward to your posts telling all about your adventures there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your granddaughter is positively adorable! Looks like she is having the time of her life. I bet her parents can't wait for you to be home safe and sound. Safe travels to Indiana, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barcelona is an amazing city-lucky girl! We have friends who are retiring there, so I'm sure a visit is in my future. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy all the graduation festivities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers. It is so interesting to read how our differences and likenesses. Your sweet Cassidy is a beauty and I wish her a Happy Birthday! Enjoy the long Memorial Day weekend and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your walls sound lovely. Yep, get married, have children and stay at home was my only dream growing up. Also, the Hallmark movies are the best and I too love a happy ending. Happy Birthday to Cassidy. Hope your trip is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.