Saturday, September 8, 2018

Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On



Gotta Travel On

Saturday 9: Gotta Travel On (1959)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, the Billy Grammer sings that "summer's almost gone, winter's coming on." When you look out your window, do you see any evidence that the seasons are changing?

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no sign that the seasons are changing at our house.

2) He admits he has laid around and played around for too long. Do you consider lazy days to be wasted days?


Not at this point in my life.  One could possible think most days around here contain some "lazy" times.  Wasted?  Never.  We deserve every lazy moment we want to spend.

3) Billy relaxed by fishing. Tell us about a visit you made to a pier, or a ride you took on a boat, this past year. (Bonus points if you went fishing!)

Last May we spent several days on Mackinac Island in Michigan.  To get there we rode on a very fast ferry.  We sat on the top tier and soaked up every amazing view of the short trip.



We enjoyed walking the pier before boarding.


We even saw an old lighthouse on the way.


The Mackinac Island Pier before leaving this beautiful island.  We did not do any fishing.

4) Born in 1925, Mr. Grammer was the eldest of 13 children. He and his wife Ruth were childless. What do you think is the ideal size for a family? 

I don't think there is an ideal size for a family.  Every couple is different.  For us two was perfect, but for some a large family is ideal.  My mother was the youngest of ten.  My husband's grandmother gave birth to 24 with 3 sets of multiple births, and 19 of the children lived.  I wonder if she thought about an ideal number.

5) This song was very popular on juke boxes back in 1959. When were you last in a bar or restaurant that had a juke box? Did you play it?


Last May we visited friends in Cornelia, GA and ate in a local diner that took us all back to the '50's.  We did not play the juke box, but someone else did.

6) In 1959, movie tickets zoomed up in price to $1.00 and Ben Hur was the big blockbuster. What's the last movie you saw in a theater? Do you remember how much the ticket cost?

The last movie was "I Can Only Imagine" and the senior tickets were about $8 each.

7) Huckleberry Hound was a hit with the younger audience in 1959. What cartoon did you enjoy as a kid? 


We didn't watch cartoons that I remember.  We did read comic books however, and "Archie" was my favorite.


8) In 1959, continuing dramas (soap operas) were still broadcast each day on the radio. When you turn on the radio, do you listen for talk, news, or music?


If on a long trip by myself, and I'm not listening to an audio-book, then I listen to all three of the options - talk, news, and music.

9) Random question -- Which competition would you rather judge: The Pillsbury Bake Off, The Miss America Pageant, or Dancing with the Stars? 

The Miss America Pageant


Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

6 comments:

  1. I have long wanted to visit Mackinac Island. It looks so lovely and sounds utterly romantic. 24 children. Oh.my.stars. The mere thought frightens me! I enjoyed reading your answers today. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill and Martha Arrington always told us we needed to go to Mackinac Island. Guess we should do that. :o)) Yes, 24 children, I cannot even imagine. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our grandkids get to visit Mackinac island every other year because they attend a family reunion in Michigan. I wish I could go with them as it looks so fun and I like your photos there. 24 children? My goodness! I bet your husband has all sorts of stories about his growing up. Where does he fall in there? I always liked Archie, Veronica, and Betty, too. And we both like judging Miss America. Did you love that movie? We did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mackinac Island! I've always wanted to visit. I have heard it's romantic and charming, and it certainly looks that way in your photos.

    My answer to #1 is the same as yours. Maybe it's all the rain we've recently had that has kept everything lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your vacation pictures are beautiful! I have a fellow blogger that enjoys visiting there a lot. I agree with you on lazy days! Sometimes I just really need them! I loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos! You've been on a ferry. So cool. I should add "ride a ferry" to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.