Saturday, August 4, 2018

Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend



Along Comes a Friend




Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend (Theme from Kate and Allie) (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from Kate and Allie, a sitcom that ran from 1984 to 1989. Were you a fan?


No, I am not familiar with this sitcom, thus not a fan


2) The show was about two divorced women who live and raise their children together. Were you ever a single parent? Were you raised by a single parent?


No to both questions


3) Allie is proud that she can make a perfect cup of coffee: "Just the essence of the bean. No acidity." Kate is proud that she can belch the alphabet. What are you proud of?


The best thing I ever did was to marry my husband, with whom I reared the most amazing two now grown-up parents of the most special grandkids on the face of the earth.  And, I'm pretty proud of all accounts.


4) Kate and Allie share half of a duplex in Greenwich Village. Many episodes had them doing laundry in the basement. Where are your washer and dryer?


I have a designated utility room off the side and rear entry to the house.  It is small but very efficient.


5) Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the "wife" in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan?


Nope, another show I'm either not remembering or never knew.


6) Allie was played by Jane Curtin. She was one of three women in the original Saturday Night Live cast. Without looking it up, can you name the other two?


Again, no!  I have never been a Saturday Night Live fan.  Besides,  I'm thinking the 70's and 80's just weren't good years for much TV watching.

7) On the set, Jane Curtin ran a poker game for the cast and crew. Do you think winning at poker takes more luck or skill?


Never played poker, so this is another "Not applicable" question.


8) The Kate & Allie theme was cowritten and sung by John Lefler.  Years later, Mr. Lefler wrote the theme for the Pokemon show.  Is anyone in your life into Pokemon?

Not currently, but years ago, yes.


9) Random question: What's the last thing you whispered? 


There is absolutely no whispering in my house.  Reason?  Hubby has a hard enough time hearing what I say normally.  Enough said!


Have you noticed a theme of some form of "no" answer in this post?


Let me leave you with something positive from the 80's.





 
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

8 comments:

  1. I think raising kids is far more important than making a good cup of coffee or belching the alphabet. Don't sell yourself short! Being able to hang a picture straight or darn a sock, yes, but not being a good parent is in a completely different league.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raising your children is (in my humble opinion) THE most important job there is so good for you doing a wonderful job. You deserve to be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except for the thing you are most proud of, I am laughing at your answers! I like the negatory answers and you're so right about tv in the 70's and 80's. I love Don Moen's music. He is such a worshipper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know, the 70s and 80s gave us MASH, which is great and timeless, and Cagney and Lacey, Designing Women, Murphy Brown, and a few other shows that showed women that they could be whomever they chose. Not a bad legacy, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had so many no answers to this post that I just decided to forgo it this week. But, I did enjoy yours so perhaps I should have gone on and participated. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't give my life to the Lord until 1991, but I remember singing along to that Don Moen song. Thanks for sharing it! I worked at a Christian bookstore in the 90s, and we almost always had worship music playing. I did watch Kate and Allie as a teenager, but I don't remember much about it. Enjoy your weekend!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet tribute to your children, that they are also good and loving parents raising the next generation.
    Utility rooms.. That's what they were called when I was a teen and young wife. Thank you, I forgot the proper name. Our's is combined with a big pantry closet, per my wish at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was not a fan of the tv show we are featuring either. It never really appealed to me

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.