Wednesday, June 6, 2018

A Backward/Forward Hodgepodge


After being away from the Hodgepodge for several weeks, it is good to be back.

Click below to join us.


From this Side of the Pond

1.Describe your 30's in one sentence. If you're not yet 30 tell us one thing you hope to accomplish once you hit that particular decade.



My 30's were consumed with trying to figure out how to be a parent, a good wife, and an obedient child of God; not to mention trying to decide on a hair style.

2. Is it harder for you to exercise or eat healthy?


We are trying so hard to do both.  We are at the gym five mornings a week for at least 1.5 hours.  Eating healthy takes a joint concerted effort, but we seem to getting the hang of it.  I won't mention that I ate a whole bag of peanut M&M's the other day though.


3. June 7th is National VCR Day. Huh? Anyway this reminded me of something I saw on Facebook listing household items we no longer have and the VCR was on it. I couldn't put my hands on that list, but found another list here of 21 items we all had ten years ago, but which are now obsolete-

bookshelves (WHAT!!???), drip coffee makers, alarm clocks, file cabinets, desktop computers, printers, printed phone books, answering machines, fax machines, paper shredders, a Rolodex, CD racks, CD burners, china cabinets, home phones, entertainment consoles, DVD players, calculators, takeout menus, incandescent light bulbs, and cable TV

Your thoughts? How many on the list do you still have? Still use?

It would honestly be easier to list the ones I DON'T have and no longer use, but here goes. 


bookshelves - do bookcases count?
alarm clocks - hate it but use it
file cabinets - have one hidden in the office closet and two in the garage desktop computer - I love my huge desktop monitor
printer - and why wouldn't you need this, although I use the scanner mostly
printed phone book - have a new one every year, but rarely use it
paper shredder - this is a must!
DVD/VHS player - but can't figure out for the life of me how to play the VCR thru the TV
calculators - a big screen one right here on my desk
incandescent light bulbs - I'm sure there are some in Dick's collection
cable TV - does Direct TV count?

4. What's something you see disappearing in the next ten years?

According to many predictions, manually driven cars will be obsolete and replaced with self-driving vehicles. 




In fact, individually owned cars could be replaced with self-driving shuttles.  I can only hope our children put us in a nursing home with one of those.

One more thing would be the traditional wrist watch.

5. How did you celebrate your birthday this past year? Is that typical?


We were enjoying the fall foliage, soccer and rugby games, and family in Northern Indiana last year for my November 1 birthday.  This is not typical, but can't think of a better way to get older.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I was asked to share my tithing testimony in our morning worship service this past Sunday.  If interested in seeing that, click here for the video.



Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your tithing testimony. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to hop back and watch the video as I'm pressed for time at the moment. How nice to have it recorded though! I passed a bag of raspberry m & m's the other day in the market and it took every ounce of willpower not to throw it in my cart. I'm being really strict with myself so I don't mind seeing myself in wedding photos next spring. Highly motivating! I do think a treat now and then is fine, but I need to get a handle on my habits before I buy m & m's again : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to watch the video. I love all your old pics and the changing hairstyles. I went through those myself. That last pic of your grandkids is wonderful. I bet you have it framed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about tithing not being an option. Giving is a privilege and I thank God that through bad times and good times, He always provides when we put Him first.

      Delete
  4. Love your pictures from your 30's. I'm trying hard to eat healthy and exercise but I don't mind eating a few M&M's from time to time! We have most of those items too and I love my printer. I print out recipes all the time and some photos too. I think you are right about the wrist watch. I better buy a few more before they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say, you have aged well, my dear...you look just the same as you did in your 30s! About that silly list...who in world thinks all of those things should be considered obsolete?? I am an old school kinda girl in many ways and will never give up many of my "old" things! And yes...why wouldn't you need a printer?? Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the same age as my mom (sorry, I did the math) so it was neat to see your pictures and how you've evolved through the decades. I have to say, you look much younger than my mom. :)

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.