Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Reflective Wednesday Hodgepodge



I could not agree more with Joyce that January has literally flown by.  And what do I have to show for it?  A whole bunch in fact, but I'll limit my list to two.


For starters, our granddaughter, Cassidy has returned from her month-long visit to Paris, Morocco (where she spent a night in the Sahara), Barcelona and Budapest.  Praise the Lord for her safe return!


And, our youngest Grand, Ava Grace attended her school's annual Daddy Daughter Dance.  They have shared this special night together since Kindergarten.

Now, let's see what questions Joyce has for us today on the Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
1. Speaking of endings....at your wit's end, at loose ends, a dead end, burn the candle at both ends, all's well that end's well, or no end in sight...which 'end' phrase might best be applied to your life lately? Explain.  

Quite frankly, I am having a hard time applying any of those to my life right now.  I will go with no end in sight as I started a new workout program this morning, and Dick and I are trying really hard to stay with the Pritikin Health Plan.  When it comes to trying to stay healthy, there really is no end in sight.  Or better yet, you keep doing it until the end.

2. What was a must have accessory when you were growing up? Did you own one? If so tell us what you remember about it.

Image result for harper's bazaar 50's

Brooches and gloves 


These are a few of my little pins from the 50's.  A little lady must have at least one appropriate pin.


And even in the early 60's, an evening gown or suit were not complete without gloves.  That's me on the far left.

3. Something that made you smile yesterday?

The prospect of being able to shop with an Indiana granddaughter for her prom dress via Face Time.

4. January 30th is National Croissant Day. Do you like croissants? Sweet or savory? We're having chicken salad for lunch...would you rather have yours served on a croissant, a wrap, a bagel, bread, or a roll of some sort?

We aren't eating bread and I should eat the salad by itself, but I would sure hate to hurt anyone's feelings.  So, I will make the sacrifice and have my salad on a fresh croissant.  

5. Sum up your January in fifteen words or less.

You began with a snowy white bang up north and are closing with the promise of spring in the south.
(Sorry, that's 20 words)





6.  Insert your own random thought here.

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Ann Voskamp, the author of "One Thousand Gifts" and blogger of  "A Holy Experience."

Yesterday, her post was one of the most stirring I've read.  You can find it at the link below:


Ann has been in Rwanda and has written about her experiences there.  This particular post asks the question,

Why Every Girl (and her dreams) Counts — and what happens if they don’t
Why Every Girl (and her dreams) Counts — and what happens if they don’t

It so touched my heart that I felt led to sponsor a child through the

Whether you feel led to do this or not after reading this blog post, you will see your child or grandchild differently and know how very blessed they are.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

12 comments:

  1. Elizabeth... you were certainly the prettiest girl at the ball. You looked stunning and your dress was heavenly. I'm sure that it was a great relief having your granddaughter home safely. Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed catching up with you through your blog, today, and I enjoyed the pictures of your grandchildren. Such a sweet father/daughter photo.
    I remember the days of brooches and gloves. My how times have changed--and not for the better, either.
    Enjoy your day,
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness your dress was just spectacular! I love it! You looked sooo pretty. And yep, couldn’t agree more. There is no end in sight when it comes to trying to stay healthy. What a wonderful experience for your grand daughter! A life long one that’s for sure. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I don't know what the occasion was for the picture, but you certainly are the most beautiful and should have been crowned queen of whatever it was! That first picture of your daughter is truly amazing! Wow! Also Daddy and daughter are so precious.
    I had forgotten about brooches and gloves. I have a few brooches in my jewelry box now, but haven't worn them in years. I remember seeing a film in shorthand class advising us the importance of wearing gloves to job interviews. In the late 60's, that advice was pretty outdated. We all just laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those gorgeous gowns of the past and you look stunning! The white gloves most definitely completed the look. I see that neither one of us would hurt our hostess's feelings and go ahead and eat that croissant! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture of Cassidy should be a postcard. Just beautiful! And, yes, I even had a couple of pins and I so enjoyed wearing them. I've never heard of the Pritiken Health Plan. And, just so you know, we got an offer and accepted it today on our old house. A farmer and his wife from Eudora, Ark. They are both 68 and not in the best of shape so not sure why they would want that two story house on 2 1/2 acres of land. But, we ask no questions. Closing is Feb. 28th. No one here knows yet and we'll see how long it takes for it to hit the streets even with us not mentioning it. :o)) Been on market 2 1/2 years and we got less than half of what it is worth. Horrible market here so we have to just be glad to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, your gown was gorgeous and you were beautiful! I know it was a relief for your granddaughter’s safe arrival home! I enjoyed reading the hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your granddaughter's dress! So pretty! As was your ballgown : ) I kind of miss the era of dressing up often. We definitely live in a culture of casual in 2018. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lucky girl!!! That was so awesome that you got to shop for the prom dress. You know I have her book but haven't read it. I better start! Heading over to your link now. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gloves and broaches...among my favorite things...I'm actually a jewelryaholic! Looking at the picture of you in the gown I have to say you're a tad older than me. By the time I reached the age where I would be wearing such things they were out of fashion. I love the styles of the 40's,50's and probably should have been born a decade or 2 earlier. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOPS...forgot to say I love Ann Voskamp but unfortunately I haven't been following her blog as closely as I was...I will again though.

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.