Wednesday, June 25, 2014

S is for Summer, Sun, Sisters and Shopping!

I am joining Joyce and a lot of other bloggers for
today, so come visit us for some interesting insights and happenings.

1. What summer activity most takes you back to your own childhood?


Summer days were spent outside riding bikes, playing in the near-by woods, pretending, climbing trees, exploring, picnics, and generally living the life every kid did in rural USA in the 50's.  Life was good!

2. What's your favorite summer smell?

Fresh cut grass or hay.  Before lawns were commercially sod, we would have just plain grass in our yards and wild onions would grow freely.  When the yard was cut, you could smell these sweet scented onion tops all day.  We don't experience that much anymore.

3. It's beach season in the US of A...so how do you feel about sand?


I don't mind sand as long as it stays on the beach.  The beach is not my favorite vacation spot, but if it is with family, especially grands, it is good.

4. Sun tea, SunChips, sunflower seeds, Capri Sun, Sunny Delight, Sun-Maid raisins, sun-dried tomatoes...your favorite food or beverage with sun in its name?

Sun Tea

5. What's your favorite way to cool off on a hot summer day?

Stay inside with a cold glass of sweet tea or a really sweet watermelon!

6. Share a favorite song with the word sun or sunshine in it's title.

If you are from Louisiana, then "You Are My Sunshine!" may be the first song that comes to mind.  It was made popular years ago by a former governor who fancied himself to be a singer/picker - Jimmy Davis, in 1939.


However, the old hymn, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today" has special memories and meaning for me.
"There is sunshine in my soul today, more glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky, For Jesus is my light.
O there's sunshine, blessed sunshine,
When the peaceful, happy moments roll;
When Jesus shows His smiling face, There is sunshine in my soul." 

7. Tell us about a time you had an exceedingly good or truly awful customer service experience. If it was awful, did you report it? Ever go back there again?

The one that comes to mind first, and yes there have been many, was at a restaurant (which has since closed).  Hubby and I went for lunch after church one Sunday.  After being seated by the young lady who is responsible for this sort of thing, we waited and waited but never had a waitress come by.  People who came in after us had been served and still no one came.  And there weren't that many in the place either.  I finally went to the young lady at the front door and told her that we had not been waited on and she looked at me and said, "Where are you sitting?"  My response?  "Right where you put us 15 minutes ago!"  I returned to the table and Hubby said, "Let's go!!!"  And we did.


Customer service, or the lack thereof, is a serious issue where I live.  Folks just don't care anymore.


8.  Insert your own random thought here

Last Thursday, my best buddy and I took off for one of the eastern Texas towns an hour from us to do some shopping.  Our first stop was almost our undoing.  I had heard about Dressin Gawdy since moving to Shreveport almost 12 years ago, but had never been.  Judy and I found so many cute things and yes, we ended up getting some of the same things.  I'm hoping to take some of my granddaughters to GawdyMe, which is the adjoining store for young girls.

With this one stop, I am now outfitted for summer, our August trips and also into fall.  I will be showing you my capsule travel wardrobe later on but I just wanted to whet your interest.  If you are ever in Tyler or Longview, Texas be sure to look them up.  You will find the best customer service anywhere and some really cute fashions and great prices to boot.

Also, this Thursday I will be meeting my two sisters for a little shopping escapade in Alexandria, Louisiana.  Middle Sis will be attending her 50th HS class reunion in a few weeks, and we have to make her look like the Homecoming Queen and Beauty she was and still is.
   Any excuse is good enough for us.

There is music in my soul today, A carol to my King, and Jesus, listening can hear the songs I cannot sing.
There is music in my soul today, For when the Lord is near, the dove of peace sings in my heart, the flow'rs of grace appear.
There is gladness in my soul today, and hope and praise and love for blessings which He gives me now, for joys 'laid up' above."
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

4 comments:

  1. I almost chose a song from my childhood, that I don't know if they still sing in Sunday School or not-Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam. Always takes me back to my childhood, but the words work for us adults too : )

    We used to love to pick the wild onions ..I can smell them still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell those wild onions! I almost chose "Heavenly Sunshine". Have fun shopping with your sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling I would have loved the smell of the grass (a favorite) and the onions as well. I LOVE your song...such perfect words. Shopping with your sisters sounds fun...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping over from the hodgepodge! Loved your answers. You are My Sunshine was my sisters favorite song when she was a little girl. Such fond memories it brings back. I love the smell of fresh cut grass too. We still have plenty of wild onions here in NC. Much to my husbands dismay, we even have a few in the yard. Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.