1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
Well, I don't really do projects and I especially don't like unfinished ones. The one thing that will be done when the weather is much warmer is a revamping of our garage. It has become a catch-all and needs a good re-org, but not until a warm day in spring. Right now, I have to do some end-of-year computer work which I would rather put off, but can't and won't.
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
I made a good potato soup for Sunday lunch and Hubby made a LARGE pot of chicken/vegetable soup that night. We will have the remains of that tonight for dinner along with a small salad.
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
We weren't actually snowed in but close while visiting our family in northern Indiana for three weeks during Christmas. We left on Friday before the BIGGIE came in last Saturday. We left in -10 degree temps only to arrive in Louisiana 17 hours later to 59 degrees. WOW!
I love the snow and love being out in it until all my extremities freeze. In fact, I have found that it is easy to become euphoric if you aren't careful. I actually shoveled the long sloped driveway the day we arrived and the day before having an MRI on my back. I know, not real smart. But, I enjoyed it so much and after finishing, I was disappointed there wasn't more. See what I mean about euphoric? Or maybe crazy?
A few scenes of their back yard and cul-de-sac.
We don't watch a lot of comedies. We prefer adventure when we go to the theater. I really can't remember seeing any except Bernie; however, I really didn't find that very funny. Odd, I guess, because our best friends said it was the funniest movie they had ever seen and even went back to see it with us.
6. In general, would you say you're clumsy?
I am not clumsy and have never been. However, as I've gotten older, I find that my balance is not what it used to be so sometimes I feel clumsy. Aging is not for sissies!
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
I was in middle school in the mid 50's when Elvis first made himself known. I recall hearing some of my friends talk about him, but I was never a huge fan. I enjoyed listening to most of his music but he was never an idol. If I ever had a favorite song, I suppose it would be "Love Me Tender." But, I can't stand listening to it now. Interesting that I live in Shreveport, Louisiana where he first appeared on the Louisiana Hayride. You Elvis fans might enjoy listening to a recording from this appearance:
8. Insert your own random thought here.
These are a few scenes from our trip into Amish country while in Indiana. We always make a trip to Shipshawana.
Have a great week and I hope to get back into full blog-swing next week.