Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Indiana Trip Continued



Indiana Trip Continued!

I want to share a bit more of our trip to visit our family in Indiana.

A night at Amish Acres in Nappanee, IN.
The Round Barn Theater is the most awesome attraction at Amish Acres.  Built of wood in 1911, it’s probably one of the most unusual theaters you will ever be in.  It is actually ROUND! And it has such an interesting history.

After the barn was purchased from an Amish farm a few short decades ago, 100 Amish carpenters in Nappanee and beyond were hired to take apart the old round barn.  Each piece was numbered, moved to its new home at Amish Acres, and reassembled in order to house a permanent memorial to Joseph Stein and a theatrical hub in the small Indiana town of Nappanee.

A view upward of the completely wooden ceiling.  An awesome sight!


The Amish Acres Historic Farm and Heritage Resort has celebrated 40 years of historic interpretation.  It opened to the public in 1970 to preserve and interpret the Amish lifestyle to the outside world while respecting the integrity and privacy of these plain people.

The center point of Amish Acres is the historic 80-acre farm that was homesteaded by the first Amish family to settle in Indiana and is the only Amish farm in America listed in the The National Register of Historic Places.  Pretty amazing, isn't it?

This century old barn restaurant where the famous Thresher's Dinner, a family style feast of Amish country favorites, is served daily, sits slightly to the left and behind the theater.
 We have had the pleasure of attending other productions at the Round Barn Theater, but none any better than the "Sisters of Swing - The Story of the Andrew Sisters." Sisters of Swing

I just have to tell you that had I not known these precious girls were not actually the Andrew Sisters (of course an impossibility) and were not lip-syncing, I would not have believed it.  They were fabulous!  Even my two granddaughters enjoyed the story and the music.
 Before we went out to dinner prior to the play, we had a Mary Kay make-up session.  How fun for me and the girls.
 The after!  Aren't they just beautiful?
 Another highlight of our trip was making a trip to Kalamazoo, Michigan where our grandson has made a verbal commitment to play football at Western Michigan University in 2013.
Yes, and now I can honestly say, "I've been to Kalamazoo and back!" 
I see one of these in my future!
 You know these Midwestern girls are tough when they play soccer in freezing cold temps with winds over 30 mph and in a driving rain.  But the grandparents from the South are not quite so tough, but we loved every minute of it.
Thank you Day Family for another great visit.
Elizabeth "Libby" Day
Elizabeth "Libby" Day

Hello, My name is Libby. I enjoy reading good books, painting, blogging, spending time with friends and whatever my "Heart" leads me to do. Welcome to Beauty Without Within.

5 comments:

  1. Libby, what a great trip! The Round Barn Theater looks amazing...such a history! Thanks so much for sharing these great photos...it looks like you've had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like a very special trip. your grand-
    daughters are so beautiful. bet they loved
    the make-over. i still thrill at the prospect
    of a make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat theater and I know that play was great. I'd love it I know.

    Oh, I'm loving the new Anti-Aging Skin Care by MK. I just hope it does it's job. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, freezing on a soccer field. Good times : ) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like y'all had a blast! I really love the looks of that Amish theater. Oh, I know what it's like to be cold at a sporting event. When my daughter, Brittany, ran track in high school, it was snowing and sleeting once. It's any wonder I survived! :)

    ReplyDelete

I do love reading your comments, so please share your thoughts with me.